Ask our community...about insurance

We love answering questions about insurance. If you have a question, post it here and we will try and answer it for you.
  • May 28 2012 - US
  • 0

Hello , Can you please give me advise, I was burned out of my home a week ago thursday and its very stressful, We lost everything , are staying in a hotel with our small dog and the walls are closing in. Insurance Co says to just save all reciepts, How long of a turn around before anything is really accomplished, am i going to have to live in a hotel for months, I am in the process of trying to find a rental , but no one wants to rent short term.
Im lost.

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
I lost my home in a tornado last year, and I can feel the desperation in your post. I truly almost lost my mind, and to tell the truth, we waited way too long before we did some counseling, so please think about that in a month or so.

Your insurance company is likely going to foot the bill for your being out of your home until the moment they reimburse you for the house. So the reality is you still won't have a home, just a check to pay for it. The sooner you begin to weigh your options and decide what you want to do, the better. My guess is, the sooner you can find something to rent, the better, a six month lease if probably realistic. We were fortunate that his Uncle had an empty rent house and was very flexible because we were family. In fact, our friends and family basically provided virtually everything we needed when we needed it. 

Did you burn to the ground, or is this a repair job? If you burned to the ground, would your first choice be to rebuild there or somewhere else (with the caveat that you may not have a choice). Think about how long it would take to rebuild either way. 

I had to list every single item I lost in order to be reimbursed. It took weeks. I'm not sure if anything I am writing is of much use, but I would be happy to help in any way I can. Just click on my profile for contact information. 

I did lose everything, home , belongings. We have no clothes, I had to reshop for my daughter for school,

So if I understand it correctly Insurance will reimburse only until they pay . And then while construction is ongoing , after they paid, im on my own out of pocket?
We will be replacing on the same lot, Manufactured Home, we heard its a 4-6 week lead time , to build one, course other contractors are involved as well. 

How long does an insurance company normally take from start to finish? and what steps do they follow, in their claim