Profile picture for Tana70

Ask our community...

What a great website!
I am currently contesting my property taxes based upon the DOR data gathered by their property assessor. In my view, the data he has compiled does not reflect the burst of the bubble in late 2007. I notice that the Zillow appraisal needs to be corrected regarding the square footage of my home. I will do that. What I need is some pertinent data that depicts the slide in the real estate market prices in my area during the last few years to bolster my argument.

June 06 2011 - Alberton

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
What you really need are recent comparable sales to support your valuation. Zillow's Zestimates are not useful for that, although it does show some recent sales you might be able to use as comps.

I am not familiar with the laws in your state, but what was particularly burdensome in contesting tax values in Minnesota was they wouldn't allow the city appraiser to use foreclosure comps in her figures. And in the area where we were attempting to negotiate the tax values, there were very few comps other than foreclosure sales.

I must say though, the city appraiser was extremely helpful and diligent in her work. Apparently she was extra busy this year doing tax valuations. I certainly didn't envy her but she was as helpful as she was legally allowed and came to what we considered a fair valuation.

As an aside, when working with city/county/state officials, it's best not to be confrontational. They really do want to help you.

Profile picture for Tana70
Thanks a bunch for taking the time.

Ask our community...
Profile picture for Tana70
Latest reply by Tana70

1. 1075 Terrace View Dr, Alberton, MT Home For Sale
    1075 Terrace View Dr, Alberton, MT 59820

2. 1 Edgewater Ln, Superior, MT Home For Sale
    1 Edgewater Ln, Superior, MT 59872

3. 18685 Lone Wolf Rd, Huson, MT Home For Sale
    18685 Lone Wolf Rd, Huson, MT 59846