Profile picture for beckyb7

Average number of homes buyers view before purchasing

We have been looking at homes for the last month and our sweet real estate agent has spent 3 evenings showing us homes. I haven't found "the" home yet and I feel awful asking her to take more time away from her family to show us more homes. How many times is it reasonable for her to show us homes before she shows us the door? We truly want to buy a home, but we haven't found one in our budget and location that is a good fit.
  • October 26 2013 - Knoxville
  • 0

Profile picture for Amy Smits
3 evenings seems pretty reasonable so I wouldn't be concerned. Depending on inventory in your area, the bigger question is are your expectations for what you can afford in-line with what is available in your market. Our area is extraordinarily expensive to some and reasonable to others dependent on where in the Country they are coming from. We have many clients that expect to pick up a single family home for $250K when the least expensive in the market is $350K. 

I would suggest creating a list of the features you MUST have, those you would LIKE to have and assess your budget. Present these to your agent and let her know you only want to see homes with your "must" haves. This will help her and you. Good luck in your home search!

Profile picture for Rafe Smith
I part company with some of my esteemed colleagues the NAR via their annual survey of buyers and sellers for several years states that the average buyer looks at 12 homes prior to making an offer. In my own experience I find that pretty close.  When I get new client I assume we going to look at least 12 and as long as they are actively engaged in the process and interested we will see more.

Also I have a policy on first showings I try to make it a rule to be on property 30 min prior to Offical Sunset.  This lets my clients see the neighboorhood and yard. 

Bottom line as long as you are realistic and actively engaged in the process I think your agent will work with you.

I would not be concerned about taking her away from her family.  She is a Realtor.  We don't punch a clock.  If she has a problem she will tell you.

I agree it is difficult to see homes during the winter at night.  Try to go out on weekends during the day.

When you have a budget to keep and specific requirements it can take a lot longer than 3 evenings.  Keep looking.

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
I try and avoid evening showings. Sellers dislike them and it gets dark so a return in the day time will be required if you like the house, so just make time during the day to see several. I showed 25 homes to a couple in 7 hours once, I don't recommend that to anyone. I have investors that I have worked with for 5 years that still have not bought. Since 95% of what I sell are 2nd or investment homes it is pretty common that some take a lot of time deciding. It's what we do and if your agent has experience they know it.

tim

I've shown many buyers lots of home before they write an offer, let alone get into contract. A good agent takes the view "however many it takes". Having a happy buyer is everything!

It is hard to give an average.    Three evenings is not very many as I suspect it is harder to get appointments to view homes in the evenings - how many houses have you seen?    It seems now that you've defined your budget and you've defined your location - is it possible you need to be more selective in homes to view?    Spend time looking on weekends?  Take a vacation day and look during business hours?