BEWARE...I'M ALMOST SURE THIS IS A SCAM!

This is regarding this post: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/55-Page-St-APT-329-San-Francisco-CA-94102/83154484_zpid/

When I contacted the property manager and gave him some information about myself, he immediately starting flooding my phone and email, telling me I sounded like the perfect tenant and that I'd better hurry and sign the lease before other tenants took the property. I asked him if one of my friends could come look at the property (I am moving to SF later in the month) and he ignored my question. He sent me the lease to sign and instructed me to wire transfer the first month's rent and security deposit into the landlord's account. Then I Googled the address of the property and saw that a legitimate Realtor had listed this same property for sale just a few months ago, and her listing had all the same pictures that this guy used for his listing. I think he just copied her pictures because there is no way it would look the same inside with all the same furniture.

I emailed the property manager back and asked him for his Realtor's credentials/license number, and told him I believe this may be a scam. I have not heard from him since.

I wish there were some way to report this to Zillow so the listing could be removed.
  • August 11 2012 - Hayes Valley
  • 1

There is certainly a way to report it to Zillow.   The method is described here, but I've also attached a screen shot.   Thanks for reporting it.  The scammers are always one step ahead

Look, don't wire funds. Hand a check to the owner when he lets you or someone in. Don't deal with owners out of state and certainly not out of the country. Rentals scams are huge now. Have you noticed how few of the STUPID emails like, Hi, I am the son of the president of Simbobway and I have to get $100,000 into the country. Send me $200 and I will send you $10,000'. Who would EVER fall for that CR#PP? Someone must have. Now they moved over to the rental scams.