Profile picture for smartchante

BOARDED UP HOUSES....

If a home is shown boarded up does that mean it is not livable??
  • February 03 2010 - North Linden

It keeps the squatters out....for a while

I do foreclosure work for a few agents, just because it is boarded up does not mean it is not livable.
It is more of a safety concern. The bank does not want anyone to get into the house and tamper with it while it is sitting for resale.
I had one project that some of the neighbor kids broke some windows , so I was called in to board up the broken windows and figured I might as well board them all up to protect the other ones.

Some times we actually fix the broken windows and then board them up again to protect them .

In my experience, boarded up homes are foreclosures which had issues with break-ins. The home may be quite livable, but it may need repairs. I know that home buyers shy away from them, and real estate investors will take a look. It may be worth your time to ask for a showing.