Profile picture for zephyr1973

Baltimore market

I have been told that the Baltimore market is "good" and is steadily increasing in value - is this true? I have searched the web and haven't found anything that confirms or denies this claim. Just very curious. :)
  • April 19 2008 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for bursts your bubble

No that is a lie. The better question is why the hell would you want to live in Baltimore? I lived there for seven years and moved away and could not be happier.

Profile picture for Jimmy38

Look at some of the foreclose sites, look at short sales, etc in the area and watch and see if more come up over time. In my area, 21146 it's an expensive area with more foreclosures and short sales showing up. Don't listen to people who say the Baltimore area is not a good place to live. I'm not talking about the city but the suburbs. I believe the prices will lower! I'm not a realtor but I watch what the market is doing.

Profile picture for zephyr1973
I live in the "burbs" of Bawlmer and I actually like it, thankyouverymuch. I've lived in numerous cities and besides our excellent murder rate and all the bad public education you could EVER want, it is a great place to live. Perhaps you got mugged while you lived here? Taxed too much? Couldn't stomach another losing streak by our Ravens or Oriole's? Really, I don't care. I only asked a simple question as to whether or not the information I was given was accurate or not.

Jimmy, so far where I live (21221) I have not seen prices go down, but steadily climb - sure, not as fast as in late 2005, but still, climbing. The person who gave me this information is not in real estate but is an investor who lives in another state. I didn't ask him where he obtained his data from, but I figured I could find SOMETHING online about it LOL! IF we place our condo on the market, we may consider moving up to HdG - it's so lovely up there and while the drive would be kinda crappy, it may be a good move for us. Who knows. Our realtors are coming over next week to give us the updated comps for our area so that we can decide whether to put our place on the market or not.

How do you look up foreclosures? Do you have to pay? I know you can go to city hall and get them, but if I wanted to search online, how would I do that?

Profile picture for Jimmy38

Most of the foreclosure sites are pay sites but with Realtytrac, you can look up your area for free and get a 7 day free trial when you need more info: www.realtytrac.com.

Put a post in the main area and ask others to post Foreclosure sites, there's a ton out there!

According to the Baltimore Business Journal "The median sales price of existing homes in the Baltimore metro area inched up to $239,000 in the third quarter, a price that's still about 7 percent down for the year."  11/9/11  It is difficult to predict the market bottom, but it is hard to deny that prices look good comparatively and mortgage rates are great.

Magan, I am not intending to pick on you but what are you comparing today's prices to? If you are comparing to the top of the bubble anything would look good. If you are instead looking at historical pricing (over a century) inflation adjusted (think 1998 prices with 35% added for inflation and wage growth) do the prices really look good?