Profile picture for Looking in Raleigh

Bamboo flooring: engineered or solid? (solid, I think). Installation a problem (using acontractor)?

I'm redoing my kitchen and considering bamboo flooring.  I like the look and the sustainability of the harvest, but my designer has warned against it because of the softness of the material (denting) and the difficulty of installation if using "carbonized" bamboo.  She says it can crack on installation.  I'm wondering if it's the installer or is it really that difficult?  I've heard some bamboos are softer.
Any other advice on bamboo kitchen floors is appreciated.
  • January 30 2013 - Raleigh
  • 0

From what I've seen, bamboo does tend to dent. And that might make it a poor choice for use in a kitchen.

There are some ceramic tiles that can mimic the look of wood while being more durable and moisture resistant. Stay away from laminate floors in kitchens as they do poorly in areas of excessive moisture.

I found these two articles on hardwood and bamboo floors which were interesting. It points out the different types of bamboo flooring.