Profile picture for cordylynn18

Bankruptcy within 2 yrs credit score between 600-630 and want to buy a house.

My husband and I are wanting to buy a house. My bankruptcy is Nov. 2010, his earlier that year. I'd be a first time buyer. What do I do to reestablish my credit to get a home loan? I am paying a car loan I've had through my bankruptcy. But nothing else on my credit. I've had my job with the state of California for almost 4 years, my husband has had his job with the state of California for 9 years. 
  • January 26 2011 - Stockton
  • 0

What do I do to reestablish my credit to get a home loan? I suggest that you have a list of creditors showing one year of on time payments.

Profile picture for RonRa

You can't get a loan for at least 2 years after discharge.  There are consequences to bankruptcy.  If you want to buy a house now you should have thought about that before you decided to skip out on your other debts.  Start saving for a down payment now, pay your bills on time, get a secured credit card and use it/pay it off every month to help build your credit, and try to get pre-approved for a loan in December 2012 before spending time looking for a house.

You need to be working with a local Realtor that knows credit repair/ credit building and a good local lender.  I am in Stockton and I know the best local lender for dealing with your situation.  Contact me if you want my help.

Please contact a trusted mortgage lender or your bank as they will look at your history to determine timeframes and process...bets of luck

Profile picture for My NCHomes Team

You need to get your credit score up into the 700's. Paying your car loan on time is critical. You should look into a secured credit card and/or a store credit card. Use it occasionally and be certain to pay it off promptly. You probably have another 15-18 months ahead of you before you would be eligible to apply for a mortgage. Be patient, work on your credit score and start saving money up for a down payment.

Good Luck.

You will have to wait for two years after the date of discharge. The only time it can be less than two years if its a Ch. 13 and you have made 12 payments on time even if its discharged with a trustee of the court's approval. Its imperative that you have a history of 12 months of on time payments with no lates reported on your credit report. You also might want to apply for a secured credit card through a local credit union or bank so you can reestablish credit.