Beaufort SC Says Happy Birthday Marines!!!

IN Beaufort South Carolina we are honored to celebrate November 10 as the 235th birthday of the Marine Corps.  We are fortunate that we don't have to travel far at all, to shake a hand, share a smile, or even give a thumbs up to The Few, The Proud.

Whether you call them gyrenes, jarheads, leathernecks, devildogs, husband/wife, son/daughter or boyfriend/girlfriend, they are devastatingly good looking in their dress blues, no?

The Marine Corps has many traditions and the one most closely associated with THE BIRTHDAY is the Birthday Ball.

I have attended plenty of Birthday balls and although these fetes start off as formal, they don't end that way.  I could make the post about Ball antics, but I would like to refrain.

Even if there is no Birthday Ball, there is always a cake cutting ceremony.  The oldest and the youngest Marines in attendance receive the first two pieces. Marines greet each other on this day with a hearty "Happy Birthday" as if it were their own and in a very real way, it is.

I suppose I could go on and on about why I love working with so many of these amazing people, why I love the traditions of the Corps, why I love their loyalty to their fellow Marines, and why I love each one I have had the honor of calling friend. 

Maybe another day...

Today, I'll just say,"Happy Birthday" to the Marines and the people who love them.

Thank you and your family for all that you do.

• November 07 2010 - Beaufort
  • 0