Been separated from my husband for several years, but we're still friends. I want to purchase a pie

Been separated from my husband for several years, but we're still friends.  I want to purchase a piece of property in Puerto Rico by myself but they say I have to have his signature anyway.  What's the big deal.  I qualify for the property by myself. He does not have to be involved or qualify for. How do I work around this requirement, which is very antiquated -- we're in the 20th century now.
  • September 13 2012 - Carolina
  • 0

Depending on the divorce laws of Puerto Rico, if you purchase a property while married and then divorce, the judge could treat it as a marital asset even if you purchased it with your own money. In some states (like California) marital assets are pretty much divided right down the middle - even if some of those assets were obtained prior to marriage.

Profile picture for nwhome.us
The best friend you can make in Puerto Rico is a good real estate attorney.  Contact me through my profile and I will make a referral for you. the woman I have there is great!

Not sure about Puerto Rico but if you were in California he would probably just need to sign a Quit Claim Deed, then you could buy as your own property. As Nan says, check with an attorney (or ask a Puerto Rico Realtor and/or lender to investigate and clarify the situation for you.

You are still married..whats yours is his also. Contact a real estate attorney to see if there is a way around it.