Profile picture for thomasj underwood

Being on the title but not the loan?

My girlfriend (not wife-might be an important distinction legally) and I are buying a house together. She is on the loan but I am not, as I do contractual work and they require that you have two years worth of work history to prove that it is stable (we both just graduated college). 

I was going to get a notarized letter guaranteeing that I would pay half of the mortgage every month and have given half of the down payment. However, the mortgage company just called to say that they couldn't put me on the mortgage because I am not on the loan. Is there a way around this? I was thinking maybe she signs a quitclaim deed to half the property to me as a last resort.

July 25 - US

Close on it now and then go to attorney to be added to the deed later. The best case is not being on the loan but being on the deed since the deed shows ownership and a mortgage just shows who must pay for it. 

July 25
Profile picture for thomasj underwood
You're right- I meant to type "...can't put me on the title because.."

Is there any way to do it at closing rather than have to go through whatever process it is to get me on the deed afterwards?

July 25
You don't wan to be on the mortgage. You want to be on the deed. She could add you after the closing of the loan. You get married and your sort of added, by default, in most states.

July 25