Best St. Louis suburb?

I am considering buying my first home.  I am a single 20 something so I would prefer to buy a home near fun activities ie good restaurants, etc.  I'd also like something with good resale value.  Where are some good suburbs to start looking?  I really don't want a long commute so the city is not a realistic option.
  • September 20 2012 - Saint Louis
  • 0

Profile picture for Outer Banks N C
Sort of depends where you work and you did mention that. I grew up NE in Alton, Ill but I would have a hard time recommending it these days.

Tim

Profile picture for pmajames
Here is my generic reply.  Get a map of the City and draw circles around
the City in 5 mile increments until you reach your limit in travel time, generally 1 min per mile at 60 mph.  Keep in mind peak traffic commuting time is usually down to 25 miles per hour.  Then search the areas that have the amenities you desire, food, fun etc.  Have at least 3 to 5 areas, now search for Realtors that work those areas, drive them and get their numbers off of signs etc.  Then check with the Sellers, are they happy with their service?  This really is not that hard.  If you don't put much effort in choosing how to invest your money, then you can't really expect a lot from 
the Agent either.
I hope that helps you and good luck.  By the way, my Partners and I sell
fix and flips in St. Louis.  James 

Profile picture for pschnei983
I agree it depends on where you work.  You have to decide how much time you want to spend driving there each day.  Be certain to include peak traffic times.  Once you have decided that I would be happy to discuss your options.  I am with Coldwell Banker Gundaker and am an Accredited Buyers Agent and work with many first time buyers.  If you would like to discuss, call me [Contact information deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

My colleagues have all given you some good starting points. I would suggest that you look at your lifestyle. Do you want to have a short commute to work?  Do you want to be close to family or friends? How about the places that you normally "hang out". Which social/fun places do you normally go to? Then start looking at the neighborhoods around the location that is the most important to you. I've had clients buy close to the gym they work out at, others buy in a walking neighborhood with pubs and restaurants nearby. Some want to be close to a dog park. Sit down with your Realtor and go through your priorities for location as well as your priorities in a home. You may find that the home you want doesn't exist in the area that you want at your price point, then you'll have to decide what factor is the most important to you.  A good Realtor will help guide you to the right neighborhood to meet your needs and wants.

St Louis is a fantastic city with a lot of options. You'll find that there are many places that will meet your desire to be in a fun location near other young people who share similar interests. 

Please let me know if you have any questions about specific neighborhoods - I love to talk about St Louis