Profile picture for Tgov

Best US upswing cities

Hi, I am British, looking to make investments into maybe 3 houses in the US at prices of say between $150-220,000, with the aim of capital gain over next 5 years or so. The US economy seems the best bet at the moment. I may be a little late, seen that most markets are already on the upturn, but I would appreciate opinions on regions to consider. The idea is a house or condo in good condition so that I do not have to go to trouble of maintenance from abroad.

September 04 2013 - US

That boat has sailed. Im not sure why you would want to invest in rentals in a foreign country with all of the risk involved unless you are an established investor, which apparently you are not since you are asking this question on Zillow advice. The risk/reward ratio in your case is high - but if your crystal ball says to buy US properties, why not invest in a REIT and avoid the hassle of being a landlord in a different country.? If difficult enough to be a landlord when you live near the property, let alone across the bay. And your five year time line assumes a continual appreciation which we may not have...

It CAN be done successfully of course, just not sure if it should...

Just my 2 cents...

Profile picture for Tgov
Vince, very kind of you to reply. Well, yes, a REIT would probably be more conservative approach. I would of course do quite a lot of analysis into several cities, I wouldnt go in blindly an certainly not based on only on opinions posted in Zillow. Using Zillow is just one tool, and since I am only beginning my abalysis, it can serve as a high level view, if I get enough replies.

It's not just cities - it's neighborhoods in cities. Within 30 miles of my 3 rentals some markets have increased 12 % so far this year and others have been flat. You really need to be hyper local within a 'hot' city.

Profile picture for Tgov
Bob, agreed, I referred to regions, but I do have to start with a macro view, so I will need to identify neighborhoods in cities with good fundamentals.

The Wake County, North Carolina area is still booming. We have been for years, and are projected to continue. With the completion of an interstate around the area, and also the HUGE expansion of our Research Triangle Park area into phases II and III, we will be growing. Call me so we can discuss.

Should we invest in rental homes in Memphis?
Latest reply by user32208489
Scam or Legit? Real estate Training Programs
Latest reply by sunnyview
May 09 | 38 answers
  • Posted by randynlogan
  • In Investing
House Flipping in Southern California
Profile picture for Adrian Chu
Latest reply by Adrian Chu
April 20 | 25 answers
  • Posted by Nick Benavides
  • In Investing
Econohomes
Profile picture for cushy6
Latest reply by cushy6
April 10 | 19 answers