Profile picture for km9
  • km9

Best solution to changing out plumbing

I'm most likely to buy a house with a galvanized water system.  So I will have to think about replacement for homes in the 70's and 80's.  I'm thinking of using pex in the walls and copper on anything exposed.  Is this o.k.?  I really don't want to have to cut too many holes in the walls seeing as I will be doing the work myself.  Is pex a turnoff to new buyers?
  • November 18 2010 - Los Angeles

I have used pex to update plumbing in several rentals over the past few years.  Its good stuff...I cannot imagine a buyer (or their home inspector) would see it as a problem if it was installed correctly.

PEX is the way to go! Just make sure you (or the plumber you hire) is familiar with installing it. While the PEX tubing is nearly "bullet proof", the connections can give you trouble if not installed correctly.

Pex is easy to install and buyers do not boycott it as far as I can tell. Most buyers are not even aware of Pex and most home inspectors think that it is a good replacement plumbing system. It is much better than galvanized and becoming more common as time goes on.

Profile picture for sgmmgs
This is great information. 

Thanks Eugene......

Profile picture for Mills Realty
I have not had any buyers that expressed concerns over PEX.  

Profile picture for km9
  • km9
Thanks for the replies.  I think I will probably go with my plan then.  Pex looks interesting too.  There are a lot of toys for this system that allow shut down at every location.  I will most likely run every zone with it's own run so as to limit the in wall connections to the absolute least.  The pipe cost is not that bad if I get a large roll.

I have used it in my rentals and it prevents the stealing of copper when it is vacant.  I haven't found a problem if it is installed correctly

What part of the country do you live? You will want to ask a local plumber, but different areas can make a difference

PEX is being used quite often by new builders and rehabilitators....

it can certainly make a difference depending on where in the country you are located.
make sure to use a qualified contractor

Profile picture for Ron Escobar

If you are changing the plumbing you should either get a licensed contractor or do it as an owner user, but definitely pull a permit from your Building and Safety Department.

The first thing I do when my client is buying a house that has been upgraded is to pull the permits and see if the job was done properly.  Otherwise I negotiate price down (so yes it is a turn off, if not done professionally)....

You may be very capable of doing it, and if so then it should be no problem... just make sure that others also thnk you are capable of doing it :-)

Ron Escobar, MBA
Broker & General Contractor
Select Real Estate

You may have gone forward with plans, nonetheless here is a little bit more information.  Most buyers will not know what PEX is, especially buyers on the west cost.  On the east coast, this is a familiar terminology, because they use PEX for hydronic heating.  I am not a proponent of any type of plastic piping used for pressurize systems.  With plastic piping such as PEX the features that I do favor is the low cost in the material and quietness of the system.  Most buyers will not know what is behind the walls,  the only time they become concern is when wall patches are evident.  There is anther method to  restoring galvanize water plumbing system besides having to replace the pipes.  It is called pipe coating, I am not a proponent of this either.