Profile picture for stepho318

Best towns/neighborhoods outside of Raleigh, NC

My family is relocating from the Boston area to the Raleigh area and will be traveling there next month to explore towns/neighborhoods where we will buy a home. My husband and I work from home and have a 14 month old and two dogs. We like charm and are very active/love the outdoors. We like the idea of having a quaint downtown area with shops, restaurants, etc. We obviously want a safe neighborhood that is made up of young families. Because of how expensive it is to live where we are now, we would like to reduce our cost of living and keep our budget around or below $225k. Any recommendations are welcome, thank you!
  • December 03 2013 - Raleigh
  • 0

Hi Stepho,

I too moved from the Boston area to Raleigh! It's amazing down here. There's so much to do and so many great places to live that you'll most likely be overwhelmed with all of your options.

Obviously your post is from a year ago, however I wanted to address it in case you haven't moved yet, or in case other readers need the same questions answered!

Your 14 month old is around 30 months old now which means elementary schools might be important for you. Here is a great resource if you would like to search wake county homes for sale by elementary school district. This will show you all of the homes available for certain schools. As the other comments mentioned before me Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, and Morrisville would all be great area's to check out! 

If you want to move inside Raleigh, here is a high quality post on  the best neighborhoods in Raleigh. 

Any other specific questions on the Raleigh area please feel free to reach out to me directly!
  • April 07

For family living, there are some great areas South-West of the city, that will also give you access to tho other parts of the Triangle: Chapel Hill and Durham. In order of pricing from high to low: Cary, Apex, then Holly Springs. You then have North Raleigh, which I am less familiar with when it comes to family living, but I do know that there are some upscale suburbs there. But overall, start your search in Cary, get an idea what $225k can get you in arguable the best suburb of Raleigh. Then take a look at Apex to see how much moving a little further away from the city center will get you. I wouldn't recommend moving beyond Holly Springs if you want to be close to what the city has to offer.
  • March 29

Profile picture for karin volz

Hi

I will be retiring next year, and looking to relocate from Milwaukee, Wi.  I am single, and active, and undecided whether to rent or purchase a home.  I am looking to live in or near a small town (am considering Mt. Dora, Fl), where I can walk, and enjoy dining, and get to know people easily. I like to be near a larger city like Raleigh, without living in a city atmosphere.  Wildlife, birds, trees, all appeal to me.

I have a well behaved golden retriever, so that must be considered in the process.  If I purchase, Under $200,000, if I rent, under $1000.00 a month.  One level home, 1200-1500 sq ft.  small lot, lots of windows. 

I realize I am a year away, but I am trying to understand pricing, and styles of housing, to narrow the location, at least.

I look forward to some suggestions, or ideas as to which small community might be best for a "youthful, active, senior"!

Thank you,  Karin Volz  

• March 29

Profile picture for dmmorea
Hi everyone We are 60-ish and looking for the best of Raliegh city life as we are NY retirees and are told it is a great place for active seniors What is the right sde of town-Brier Creek? Thanks Dm
  • February 18

diggin,
I would try the city-data forum for raleigh for neighborhood suggestions. The folks are local or interested transplants that can give you areas to check out and avoid. That is one of the best forums I've found to get street level information in other communities.

Agents can't tell the whole truth about bad areas or crime due to fair houses law. You can look at free/ reduced lunch numbers & income on citydata by zip code, spotcrime and neighborhood scout for other info, but nothing replaces a local perspective. Hope the links help and good luck in your move.

Profile picture for digginhrd
I just got a job at Fort Bragg, and i am moving to Raleigh in a week's time. I have never been to that area. However, i have been researching the area. Unlike others, I am really looking for an apartment to rent initially somewhere in between Raleigh and Fort Bragg in a safe neighborhood, but much closer to Raleigh because my wife will be looking for a job in Raleigh. I don't mind commuting for about 40 minutes to work. But prefer to be within 20 minutes driving distance to Raleigh. We are looking for a three bedrooms, two bath apartment, with a play ground for the kids, and good pre-school schools in the area for our kids. We are looking to pay no more than $1000 for the apartment if at all possible. We might look at townhomes or single family homes down the line once we understand the area, but for now we just want an apartment. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

My husband is relocating to Sanford North Carolina, I have been leaving in Los Angeles Area Since I was 18 years old, any Town that are simillar to Los Angeles area I am worry about snakes.

Hi -- Like so many others, I also chose this area to live & just love it here!  While I second all the recommendations already given, one town that I highly recommend you look at is Apex.  It has been ranked repeatedly in the top 10 Best Places to Live, has a lively historic downtown area (we're having our parade & caroling this Friday with REAL SNOW!) that is the envy of all the other towns, affordable homes, lots of activities, highly rated schools, and is nearby to downtown Raleigh and all the other great areas.  If you want, send me 3-4 of your "must haves" in your next home and I would be happy to send you more info on properties that fit your specific needs along with all the town activities.  I specialize in working with folks who are relocating to our area and am here to help!

I relocated to Raleigh some years ago from the Chicago area and have not looked back. The Raleigh metropolitan area is a great for families who love the outdoors. The extensive greenway system in both Raleigh and Cary are pleasant to walk, ride or run. I ride a rode bike around Wake, Chatham and Granville counties every weekend and just love it. The area is pretty spread out but not generally congested with typical commutes around 20 min. For cities in the area with quaint downtowns I would suggest Wake Forest, Cary, along with Apex and Holly Springs both of which are benefitting from the accessability that the I540 extension is providing. Given your price point you will find that you will get a lot more home for the money here than in Boston. You will find great home values in the cities I mentioned. I have sold a number of homes in the area and specialize in working with clients relocating to the area. I would welcome the opportunity to work with you. Sincerely

I am happy to hear of your intent to relocate to Raleigh.  I made the move from NYC 20 years ago and never regretted it.  There are many nice cities/towns around Raleigh, in fact most people live outside of Raleigh. Many of the towns are within 20-30mins from downtown Raleigh.

Knightdale, Wendell, Cary, Clayton, Garner, etc.  Raleigh is in Wake county as most of the surrounding towns and Johnston county is a stone through away.  Johnston county is growing so fast and has a vast array of new homes in your price range with a lot of outdoor space/land and with little traffic.

Homes range from 85K and up.  It just depends on how new, large and town the home is located in determines the price.

Working with a Realtor to assist you will be to your advantage because we know the area and can be your eyes and ears.  I have worked with several families relocating to the area and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further. Just let me know.

Best wishes

If you love the outdoors you will really love moving to the Raleigh area. Cary has a very extensive greenway system where you can run or ride for miles and miles. I especially like hiking in Umstead Park with my dog and children...there is a great picnic spot about 3 miles in at an old mill site so the dogs can drink up and swim. (more info and maps see http://tinyurl.com/ontj4op )  It was rated this year as the safest city in the country, and has a quaint downtown which includes a Saturday farmer's market, concerts, library,  restaurants and arts center etc.  I sold an older home walking distance to downtown Cary for $220,000 a month ago.  

Apex has a very quaint downtown, also. The park system is not quite as developed as Cary's. But compared to Boston, all these three towns are very accessible to each other.

You will get more home for the money in Holly Springs, it is still an up an coming city with a small downtown area.  The new 540 extension makes the Holly Springs very accessible now.

I usually take my out of town clients on an overall tour of Wake County and enjoy giving them the back-stories of each area (I grew up here and know where the skeletons are buried!) So if you have additional questions or need details please don't hesitate to call me.