Profile picture for qpotential

Blatantly Inaccurate Data

Why is it that any city or zip code I go into there is around 5%-15% of homes that blatantly inaccurate, way beefed up land sizes.  There must be millions of homes on Zillow where the land size is at least 10 times the actual land size and higher.  What is being done to get rid of these millions of inaccurate data points?

August 22 2011 - Mobile

Best Answer
Its not inaccurate in my area. If ZIllow does not work for you, simply dont use it.

"I sent in each address that had bad data in my zip code and nothing has been corrected, as expected" -

1) Zillow only had a staff of 264 people... for almost 25 million site-visitor-IP addresses, and 100 million home details pages.  They presently have 40 more employment positions open that they are trying to fill.

2) Using the "report a problem" on the home details pages tends to work better than just sending a list of corrections.  But it still takes about 2 weeks to correct, and sometimes up to 9 weeks due to the manual process of checking the public records.

You still need to let them know when you find wrong data that needs correction; it won't be corrected otherwise.

I've recently been using the "50 comps" that each home details page has a link to... many are fine; but one list had 3 errors; one of them a decimal error on the sale amount, even though right in the price history on the home details page.  One someone had intentionally changed their sqft to throw off the cost/sqft calc.  One, the data collection company had copied the lot size down for the house size.  That means 6% of that list had errors, but only one error each, and some were "intentional" but none by Zillow.

Most of the pages I look at don't have those problems.

In addition, Pasadenan has links here to other free online value sites, they may work better for you...

Profile picture for qpotential
You're right, I'll just stop using it.  Thanks :)

Profile picture for qpotential
I sent in each address that had bad data in my zip code and nothing has been corrected, as expected.  I will just take any data on this site with the expectation that is is probably wrong but may have a slight chance of being correct.

I noticed that an area of Arizona had almost all properties for sale shown at 5 acres (although clearly on the maps the lots were approx 1/5 acre).  Zillow solved the issue after a user reported it.

You may wish to E-mail customer service a few addresses with a description of the issue, as they do work on identifying errors and cleaning up the databases. 

Zestimates are a starting point for comparison of properties, but the more accurate the data are the better one can compare from one property to the next.