Blogging? To-Do or Not To-Do?

I have started a blog to help get my name out in the Real Estate arena in the Rochester, MN area.  It has mostly features homes where I actually go and visit the home and write some intimate details about it to try to bring buyers into the door.  I believe this may be a good practice, but I don't want to mis-step. Thoughts? Suggestions? 

[edited by Zillow moderator to remove self promotion link.  Please refer to Good Neighbor Policy.]

July 26 2011 - Rochester

Your blog seems like a sales site, not a blog.     It is a bit scary with your eyes peering above the words - that may be appropriate for chit chat blog with your friends and family, but sure doesn't look professional to me.

Why not put your "blog" in your profile information so the moderator doesn't zap it.

I just went to a seminar on Social Media for Realtors. To be honest my head was swelling after it - there are just too many ways to connect 'socially'.

I would suggest that whatever you do, be it Facebook Twitter, blog or website, do it becauase you enjoy doing it, and NOT to implicitly get more sales. And when you do it, show who YOU are not why its best for a a buyer to use a Realtor when buying a home - thats been said before.

One local Realtor works ONE area around here and collects emails via relationships and utilzies Constant Contact as her email manager. She does a send out when she has a listing or some worth while news item for that area. She purports to be an expert of that area because thats the area she appears to know and love.

Example ...

In the LA area, a loooong time ago, a Realtor (Mike Glickman) steped in when the city of LA had a trash strike for a week, and paid for trash pickup for his 'farm', I think he was 22 at the time. He went on to be one of - if not the biggest - Realtor in LA for a long while. And that was way before the internet.

I can't see your blog because Zillow has already zapped it from their site, but make sure you have links on both your personal website and the Edina website, too. Most buyers in the MN market begin their search on the Edina website as it is the most comprehensive site for finding a home. (We've been told by agents for competing companies that they actually refer their clients to the Edina site).

If you're going to blog, be consistent. The worst blog in the world is the one where someone blogs for two weeks, then gives up. Or they blog once every day, then once a week, then once a month...

I would include details about the neighborhood that might not be apparent to home buyers. So much of our value in the marketplace is the knowledge we have about the neighborhoods where we sell homes. I would be this is especially true in the Rochester market where you probably have a lot of folks who move their from out state to work @ Mayo.

Thanks for the tips! I have changed to header on my blog.  Think it looks much better.

I also plan on staying consistent.  Help with the search engine opt and I need all the help I can get!  Again, thanks for all the suggestions!

If you are just getting into blogging and social media for marketing you might try Zillow Academy here. The webinars are free and taught by instructors that can help give you tips on growing your business and brand online.

Another good source for info is Brad Andersohn's blog here. Hope it helps and good luck with your new blog.

Profile picture for PukonYukon
blogging just to blog for sales leads or because someone else told you it was a good idea is helpful to show that you've got nothing to say.  It creates a transparency to warn picky customers to avoid you.
blogging with purpose and not trying to just get sales, leads people to realize they wouldn't mind doing business with you. 

choose wisely.

Blogging on an area you love and what is happening in that community would be a good bet!  I don't see anyone blogging about listings they previewed.

Profile picture for robin398

IMHO, if you have good marketing skills and can get your point across well in writing then by all means blog.  Not everybody is good at it.  There are some people in my profession who don't know how to market themselves so have decided to blog instead.  Bad idea.  If you are blogging to promote your business, keep your personal life out of it, don't slam the company that you wish to work for in the future, don't claim to be an "expert" and ask people to email you so you can offer business advice (especially when you didn't even bother to license your business in the first place).

Just offering my two cents for the day.

Blogging? To-Do or Not To-Do?
Profile picture for Robin Lynch
Latest reply by Robin Lynch
What is the most effecient way to find a Listing Agent
Latest reply by broker_GRI

1. 2679 Flagstone Ln NW, Rochester, MN Home For Sale
    2679 Flagstone Ln NW, Rochester, MN 55901

2. 3104 Harbor Dr SE, Rochester, MN Home For Sale
    3104 Harbor Dr SE, Rochester, MN 55904

3. 19 6th St NW, Rochester, MN Home For Sale
    19 6th St NW, Rochester, MN 55901