Blogging Triggers - $25Million Lawsuit...

Doomers - be careful when you post on zillow or for that matter on any message board specifically targeting a community. Read this article for more info....

I love the pictures from that blog.

February 20 2008 - US

This guy is "doomed".

There, now he can sue me too.

February 20 2008
Profile picture for Randy_H

It sounds like a bankruptcy shotgun lawsuit.  When a big concern goes bankrupt name everyone they can find within slapping distance in hopes of getting a few settlements.  Unless he gets a terrible attorney, he has nothing to worry.

I speak from experience in this matter.

February 20 2008
Profile picture for Aldreth

Silly.

February 20 2008
Profile picture for caliguy

Laughable lawsuit...but, that's why it's much easier to be a reporter working for a newspaper with a big legal team than to be an independent blogger on your own.

Assuming the lawsuit is only over the fact that he said the project was doomed - there's no way in h** any judge would let things proceed. It's clearly his opinion and not presented as a fact. Now, if he was wrong about the company going bk back in the 80s it's still not an issue assuming he didn't purposely and recklessly distort facts.

February 20 2008
Profile picture for KD in Texas

Well, he got fired over it...  didn't he?

February 21 2008

Only the agents need to watch out for this. Agents, lawyers, and doctors are held to this standard where they can be sued for something said on here. That's why sas left.

February 21 2008

This is America, you can get sued for anything.

February 21 2008
Profile picture for greg1231

However, this case pans out, it will be an interesting study in the parameters of First Amendment law. Only the court can decide whether to let the lawsuit proceed or throw out the case because it has no merit.

February 21 2008
Profile picture for greg1231

See Mixed Bag for further comments and question.

February 21 2008

But what is the real benefit to the builder? Assuming the guy doesn’t have anywhere close to 25M in assets. Quite likely that the Agent doesn’t have 250k in Assets what possible benefit is this suit to the builder? The builder will likely not get anything from the brokerage if he tired.

Sounds like a publicity stunt.

February 21 2008

Albiet a bad publicity stunt........now the people who actually own in that condo association are really contemplating bailing

February 21 2008
Profile picture for 2 Big 2 Fail

I love this lawsuit.  Fianlly, a way to get rid of those pesky renters!  HA HA HA HA.  I should go to lawsuit so I can file a massive class action lawsuit against bubble bloggers.  I can become the next John Edwards!!

February 21 2008
Profile picture for 2 Big 2 Fail

*law school*

February 21 2008
Profile picture for Randy_H

Bring it on.  I've got a drawer full of bigfoot and demand letters.

February 21 2008
Profile picture for Randy_H

note, the phrase "bring it on" is not an invitation to lawsuits or any specific statement about performance or value, and is intended as parody, given the screen name of the previous poster.

February 21 2008
Profile picture for 2 Big 2 Fail

I just sued all of you bitter renters!  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

February 21 2008

This one is funny, but this guy should watch what he says. Here is a guy investing millions in a project and you get some dude rubbing dirt on it. Pry just a classic case of diarrhea of the mouth.

February 21 2008
Profile picture for Drapesforaqueen

What makes this guy think this blogger has that much in assets. Looks like over kill to me. What happened to FREEDOM OF SPEACH? So he said youe projected is doomed that his opinion, if your project is going well don't worry about it. He could have made a statement telling the public the statement was not true but this lawsuit makes it look like he really may be doomed.

February 21 2008
Profile picture for 2 Big 2 Fail

He does not  have that much in assets.  He is just hoping to shut the blogger up by bankrupting him with legal fees.  Even if he loses, his ultimate goal will be fullfilled. 

February 21 2008

"what possible benefit is this suit to the builder?"

Alpine is right on this one...the goal is to shut up the blogger and burry him in fees.  This is a SLAPP suit plane and simple.  If this blogger is worth his salt he'll SLAPP back and get a judgement against the developer for the cost of his legal fees, expenses and harassment.

February 21 2008
Profile picture for klarek the realist

“My opinion is that this development is doomed,”

If that's what they're suing him for, they have nothing.  You cannot sue somebody for stating their opinion.  That's absurd. 

February 21 2008

Alan -

Please refrain from categorizing/generalizing people as doomers or by any other name.

February 21 2008

Uh, debts.. just to clarify, sas didn't leave because she felt she was gonna get sued. As far as I could understand, she left because she felt she was being defamed and feared that defamation could have financial repercussions for her business.

February 22 2008
Profile picture for Alan May

Michael... I can't imagine that SAS would be very happy having anybody talk about her "reasons" for leaving...

I'd just leave it as "she left for reasons of her own".   Period.

February 22 2008

I meant no harm ELV!S. Sas was one of those who went to my rescue on an old thread about my avatar, I thought I'd return the favor. Anyway, I just called it the way I saw and understood it on that thread which made her leave. If this somehow offends her, then I'm really sorry.

February 22 2008
Profile picture for Randy_H

I feel no particular need to censor myself because of hypothetical feelings someone might experience.  I cannot be responsible for their feelings.  Certainly Sas wasn't empathetical of mine on many of occassion.  I'm sorry, but all this "I'll sue for defamation" stuff on blogs isn't just annoying, it often crosses over into geniune restriction of legitimate speech.  Callista is right, the Blogger in the public lawsuit should file a SLAPP, and perhaps those other malicious lawsuit defenses (which I don't know much about).  But I remind anyone who actually followed the outbreak here that it was Sas, not anyone else, who started threatening to sue.  Not just the perpetrator who she alleged was defaming her.  But she said, quote, "I want to sue somebody!".  That had quite the chilling effect on the entire forum for some time thereafter.  I know I entered a disclaimer and exited any debate thereafter, not particularly wishing to be gratuitously sued by someone because of something I might say on a blog.

Anyway, it's expensive and hard to win defamation, libel or slander lawsuits.

February 22 2008

You should only be afraid of lawyers if you 've broken the law.  If not all they can do is blow hot air and threaten you..just like everyone else.  You don't have to be a lawyer to sue people...and I think in most cases lawyers might be less likely to sue people over nonsense like this because they know they are just wasting everyones time.  Lawyers don't scare me even though they try.  It's typical for investors to try to sue for loss of "potential income" when an investment doesn't work out the way they want...like for example if there is an endangered plant on their land they didn't count on and now they can't develop.  Thankfully our justice system (for the time being) doesn't entertain such nonsense.

February 22 2008
Profile picture for Randy_H

Yes and no. It depends upon who you are sued by and on what grounds. If you're unlucky and draw the wrong plantiff you can be in for quite a lot of hassel, even if in the end you get out owing nothing (which is often the case). I've never been sued personally, but I have been involved in a number of business suits. Even those completely and entirely disrupt your life until they are disposed of.

I agree that nearly all threats of suits are nothing more than idle threats. Many people *think* they're going to sue until such time as they find out what that really involves. But I learned the hard way to take _lawyers_ making those threats seriously. You never know what their motivations are, and they can cause you a bees nest full of heartache. Depositions are _not_ fun. In fact, they can be downright infuriating. And you can't mouth off and say what you really think about the whole thing, which is death to someone like me.

A lot of the process is a game of gotcha. Sure, you'll prevail on some stupid defamation lawsuit from an irrate blogger with time on his or her hands and a license. But, and this is a big BUT, you still have to go through all the motions or you'll lose on technicalities.

February 22 2008

Michael - I consider myself as a doomer (sorry to use it again) so I thought I means no harm. I'll try to not use such language.

February 22 2008

A guy I knew back in Chicago was (in)famous for filing lawsuits at the drop of a hat -

It stopped when he was found with a few extra holes in his head.

Kinda like going all-in on every poker hand.  It works everytime - Until the last time...

Thanx, D

February 22 2008
New Help Section
Dunes Tavern & Conspiracy Center
Latest reply by wetdawgs
1 hour 36 minutes ago | 14307 answers
The watering hole..
Profile picture for Connie Klemme
Latest reply by Connie Klemme
  • Posted by ConnieK_ppm
  • In Discussion
Why is my home's zestimate declining rapidly while my neighbor's stays the same?
Latest reply by wetdawgs
I see the Zillow estimate of my home's value dropped 20% literally overnight!!
Profile picture for scmorelli
Latest reply by scmorelli
1 day ago | 11 answers