Bush's last press conference....

I'm sort of half listening to this in the background and all I can think is what a whiner wanting to tell us he wasn't that bad. Anyone else?
  • January 12 2009 - US

Profile picture for pinksandbaby
I have on Handy Manny and I prefer it. :o)

I was thinking of switching to Cheaters. It's my guilty pleasure when I am getting ready for school.

Profile picture for jimmy57
Or... a guy who stood by his obligation to defend the country's security even when it meant he would be less "popular."

Already Pres-elect Obama is converting to the "Bush" timetable for withdrawal from Iraq, a long way from his attitude in the primaries.  Ever wonder if that doesn't have something to do with the security briefings he's been getting?

It wasn't what he was saying...it was how he was saying it. I didn't vote for either guy (outgoing or incoming) and I get the job is very hard. Just seemed like a sad tone to have your last press conference.

Profile picture for jimmy57
If he was disappointed that his efforts weren't appreciated, and if he feels that his political opponents treated him with disrespect, then it seems appropriate that the tone of his last press conference would be "sad."  If he had spun it into some smiley-faced whitewash job, he'd have been derided for that, correct?

I honestly didn't watch the whole thing. I think he could have found a better balance to the discussion. It is a difficult job no doubt, but it is always a difficult job. Of course, Bush hasn't exactly been known as a great public speaker.

Profile picture for jimmy57
I understand what you saying, Tiffany.  I just don't think "balance" was needed in this case: it was a good point to just be frank (something that an on-going President often can't afford to be).

Perhaps as a REA, you have a bias towards wanting always to be upbeat? ;)
Hope law school is going well for you.

Nah...I'm all for realism too :)

Law school is lovely. If I could afford to sit in law school for 20 years I would probably make it a career.

Profile picture for silent_observer
you rock baby

Profile picture for julia111
I missed it. I am sure be boched, it and I will catch the clip on lettermen.

I found it a little painful to hear Bush talk about "maintaining moral clarity" after his administration defined torture as anything that doesn't 'result in dismemberment or death.'   

The world need more honest educated lawyers. I envy you. In the vein of honesty, I have to say that Cheaters just isn't the same without my man Tommy Grand. I wonder if GWB will be able to catch up on all his TIVO shows now that he almost out of office. I wonder what he'd watch.

Profile picture for jimmy57
Wait for a little perspective, kids.

"...as unpopular as President Bush has become, he has still not plumbed the depths achieved by presidents Harry Truman, Richard Nixon or Jimmy Carter who Gallup polls recorded descending into the 20s during their terms."

Jimmy is right on. Bush will be judged a lot better by history in the not too distant future than the mean-spirited nitwits in the press and the electorate who don't have the class and maturity to recognize his accomplishments and strength of character. His farewell was very classy, not like the Clintons stealing furniture from the White House, removing the "w's" from  White House typewriters, etc. Now that Obama has seen the same classified security reports that Bush did it's not surprising that he's changing his views on some of his policies. I hope he keeps us safe for at least the 7 years that Bush did. I'll be rooting for him.