Buy in DC metro area or DFW area?

Hi everyone, I have been living in the DC metro area for 8 years. Rent is sky high compared to other cities and of course so are the home prices (especially if you need a metro accessible property, which I do). My rent is currently $1800 and I'm starting to feel like I'm throwing money away. So I've recently started looking to buy a condo but the prices in the most affordable location for me are $300-350K for a one bedroom+ den. Another alternative is to buy cash (about $150K) in another state (TX is an option because I have family there) and rent out the property (rent would probably be $1000-1500) to off-set my rent in DC. Which would be the better option? Buy in DC metro or DFW metro? 
  • September 15 2013 - US

Hard for anyone of us to help with that decision.  In theory buying a home in DFW seems like a solution.  If you buy a home for investment without a mortgage then the income from that property ie: $12,000 - $18,000 per year adds to your taxable income.  Reduce the yield by the tax you will owe.  Perhaps that added income throws your regular income into a higher tax bracket and the net affect actually causes you to pay more annual tax.

If you buy a property in the DC area with a mortgage the interest and real estate taxes are deductible on your federal return.  Now you have less taxable income.

Just a thought.  You might want to get an accountant to help you compare the two scenarios.

Hi, there! The DC marketplace is extremely hot right now and consistently kept their strong values throughout the last few years. In some areas, we see an increase in value 5% year over year! If you need more help, please feel free to contact me.