Profile picture for xwpreadr

Buy with high credit card debt?

I owe $35,000 in credit cards.  My interests are low (2.99-8%).  I don't have money for a down payment.  My gross salary is $76,000.   My credit score is in the low 700s.   Can I buy and should I buy?   If I buy now and get that $8,000 credit I could put it toward repaying the credit cards.   What should I do?
  • April 10 2009 - Fort Lauderdale

Profile picture for BMFPitt
If you have 50% of your gross income in credit card debt, you should not even think about buying a house.

We have special home loan programs for someone in your situation, so it is possible to qualify.  Its a matter of credit score, income, current liabilities, and proposed liabilities. I can do an exact analysis for you within 24 hours, contact me at Folguin@americahomekey.com.

What should you do?

Work on paying the credit cards down to zero (cut them up today).
Save up a downpayment of 20%
Save up a slush fund to cover house emergencies.

Then, and only then apply for a loan.

I suspect that will come after the $8000 credit is available, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Profile picture for SlickPoetry
No down payment at all? How were you planning on buying?

And the idea of opening up a 30 year mortgage so you can pay your credit card bill down by 25% is ludicrous. get real.

Profile picture for MikeReynolds
Yes, you pretty much need to both pay off your cards and be able to put 20% down.  But perhaps you could get an FHA loan.

So basically you owe 6 months worth of salary to the credit card companies? Are you making the minimum payments or are you working to retire the debt? You say you don't have money for a down payment which tells me you don't have 3-5 months worth of money saved should something happen to your job. In the words of Suze Orman....denied!