Profile picture for zuser20140709073118770

Buyer Browsing Homes

My husband and I are on the VERY beginning stages of relocating to a different state and becoming first time homebuyers.  I have reached out to a real estate agent in the area regarding a specific property we were interested in viewing.  She said she could show it to us (although she's not the listing agent) and asked me what else we might be interested so I sent her several links of other properties we had viewed.  She sent me 5 pages of MLS houses (of which the houses I previously sent her were also listed).  We have yet to look at anything that she sent via email and are weeks away from physically meeting her.  My husband brought up the "procuring cause" issue and I wanted to ask, is there a document out there that states we're not "married" to this agent by any means?  I would hate for her to show us homes (even though she knows we're not ready to buy right now) but then end up working with another real estate agent in the end for fear of "procuring cause".  My husband's father is a broker so we would do all the legal/paperwork with him.  How else can we look at homes without being "in bed" with an agent (seller or buyer agent)??  Any advice on how to approach this delicate situation is much appreciated!  Thank you!

July 15 - US

Thanks guys!  I graciously cut ties and cleared up any confusion with her.  I appreciate your quick responses as I'm new to this real estate search - - so many rules and unwritten rules!  Clearly I have a lot to research :)

July 15
In a case like yours, what is often done is for an agent you know in another state (in this case your husband's father) to refer you to an agent who services the area you are buying in. That agent will be happy to pay your husband's father a referral fee (maybe around 25%). The agent you are in touch with now may even be willing to do that, but you really do need to be honest with her. Why would she show you homes if there is no chance of her getting anything for it?

July 15
You need to bring up this issue with your husband's father.    If you are expecting that he is going to get the commission because of doing the paper work, then he is the one who should be showing you the houses.  While you are not "married" to the agent you've called, you do have an obligation to be upfront that you aren't going to pay her even if she does help you find a house that you place an offer on.

July 15
Your husbands father should be showing you homes is he is going to be representing you! You can't use other agents as a showing service if you are not planning on having them represent you.

July 15