Buyer & agent entered house through a WINDOW without permission!!

This is in VA. I know this can't be legal and I am considering reporting her.

Have a contract and going to closing in three days. The house is empty since I live in a different state now.  And the buyer and her agent know it.

The buyer's agent was supposed to arrange with my agent for the final walk-though today before the settlement on Friday.  He never heard from her.  So my agent decided to drive by my house.  Guess what he found?  Not only was the agent and her client in the house they had a contractor with them! They removed a ground floor screen from a window and climbed through the window to gain access to the house!  There is no longer a lock box on the door and she knew that ahead of time because my agent has told her. I so want to report her but want to get through the closing on Friday as I really need this house to be sold.

My agent wasn't going to tell me any of this today but I forced it out of him when we were talking tonight about the closing. He says there is more to today's story, that the agent was in there for a reason not advantageous to me. However my agent wants to get through the closing before he tells me the whole story because he's afraid of what I might say at the settlement table on Friday.

Somethig else the buyer's agent and her client did that ticked me off a few weeks ago -

When her client was first considering buying the house which needs new windows they proceeded to pull out the glass and leave all 23 windows open or partially open.  My agent had to go in and put everything back in it's original condition.

A lot of other unprofessional actions along the way - that I will include if I contact her broker and the state real estate board.This must be considered trespassing, right? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • September 25 2012 - US
  • 0

If you have a contract and will be closing with this buyer, what is to be gained from the reporting the agent etc?

I'm not stating the legalities but only a practical aspect of all this. It can be trespassing certainly (as legal title has not passed), but maybe you can see the bigger picture.

Raheel Shahzad, Attorney, CPA, Real Estate Agent
Chicago, IL

I have to agree with Raheel, go to the closing and don't say a word. Take your check, got to lunch then to the bank. Let your agent deal with the other agent after the closing, I'm sure he can come up with something creative.

I can remember a time when an employee broke off a toothpick in the lock to my office ... so frustrating, I couldn't get the key in the lock. I also heard of a story where someone flushed the cap from a shaving cream can down the toilet ... the only way to remove the cap was to bust a hole in the side of the toilet.

Only two days to closing ... be patient and calm ... don't say anything.

In my opinion the agent should be reported after the closing takes place.  It is real estate agents like this that make us look bad.

Thanks for posting your question on Zillow.com!

Well, I would just close on the property and move on.  If their unprofessional-ism leading up to closing cost you $ or put you in danger, then I would seek legal advice.  Everybody is different, for me, I have other things to focus my attention on but for some, they may not have allot going on in life or whatever and want to prosecute to the fullest.  Either way, post closing, I would bring my concerns up in writing to the other agent, their broker & the Realtor board but not pursue any legal action.

Hope it all turns out well for you, best of luck.   

"If you have a contract and will be closing with this buyer, what is to be gained from the reporting the agent etc?"

Maybe stopping the REA from behaving in a similar manner with other transactions and/or clients? Applying the "iceberg theory", this is not the only questionable practice this REA is involved, nor is their first, nor will it be their last. Unless, someone calls them on it.

"I'm not stating the legalities but only a practical aspect of all this. It can be trespassing certainly (as legal title has not passed), but maybe you can see the bigger picture."

The  "bigger picture"? What I see is "breaking and entering", and "vandalism" if property was altered and/or damaged. I also see another REA who is walking the fine line of "complicit" by refusing to tell their client "the whole story" for fear of losing the sale.

The only part of the advice the REA's provided that I agree with is "this is no reason not to close the sale". But, a criminal report should be filed for the B&E, and the seller's REA should step up to the plate. It is not just a matter of "getting a pound of flesh". It is a matter of holding one's self and their profession accountable for professional, ethical, and legal business behavior.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
I agree with SoCal's line of thought
and
Agents should be happy Sheri contributed something to this discussion consumers could respect...

Agents spend a lot of time and money writing blogs, blah blahing about Ethics, being professionals, watching out for clients, worth the cost and sit back wondering why they still "Get no Respect"
Well......Duh

Actions like those describe by the OP and the comments by Agents about those actions and the Agents responsible pretty much explain the lack of respect imo...What's to respect?
What consumer who reads threads/discussions like this is going to buy into ..We have Ethics..We are Professionals?
Complete idiots and no one else would be my guess

My opinion..The image/perception of Agents as Professionals/having ethics/being trustworthy is pretty poor and based on opinions/advice like this......deservedly so

No one should be more upset/bothered by things like this occuring or be more determined to correct this from happening again than Agents...but apparently they don't have the time or it isn't important enough
Get no Respect....Duh!

Woow...sorry to hear that this has happened.  In my experience, I woudl close it first then ask for explanations.  Once you have heard their sid eo fteh story after you have closed i.e. money transfers then I would decide what course of action to take.  Your agent can give you guidance...best of luck

Well, user, you've demonstrated what happens when you act like you're the camel's back and let bad behavior slide. First they pull the glass out of the windows and nobody says anything, then they're breaking and entering and THAT is the final straw!

Of course you should document these transgressions and file a complaint. Whether you want to be bothered is a different matter.

Do not do anything that will risk your closing, but do get ready to file a complaint with the Board. The behavior that you are describing is outrageous and not professional. It is probably not the first time this agent has done something out of line either. 

Get the house sold period. Then, after the buyer signs on the line and everything is sent to be recorded, ask your title company and your agent how you can hold a portion of buyer's agent's commission in escrow pending the outcome of the complaint you intend to file with the Board.

Also, you need to keep as much as possible in writing with your agent when they tell you what actually happened so that you will have proof when you file your complaint. Stories sometimes change and getting the facts in black and white is the best way of making sure your complaint is dealt with appropriately after you file. Filing a complaint may help other sellers from going through what you have with this agent.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
I have no clue where real estate agents get the idea that they are licensed as "private detectives".  Possibly from watching too many detective shows on television?  Perhaps the "Rockford Files"?

In any case, what the agents did was "illegal", and a police report needs to be filed.  Real Estate agents that break the laws need to be put out of business, as well as their brokers that are supposedly responsible for their actions.

"Whether you want to be bothered" is the reason so many of the Realtors believe they are entitled to be unethical much of the time.  Unfortunately, it is part of our present culture that many believe that "you are not guilty unless you are caught and convicted".  I certainly wouldn't want an agent representing me that states they believe ethics are not worth the time to bother about.

Really, if they need more time for their home inspection, why didn't they call for an additional appointment?  What is the big deal?  Isn't it easier to do it legally with permission than illegally creating resentment?

Profile picture for Cooj
  • Cooj
A couple of thoughts.
If your agent wasn't going to tell you and " He says there is more to today's story, that the agent was in there for a reason not advantageous to me" ....it doesn't sound like you can trust your agent either.Shouldn't it be your decision? You might not want to close if you understood what was going on. 
But since you didn't see it, it wouldn't be like you can report anything without the support of your agent. It's your agent who is going to have to step up.
How uncomfortable at the closing. Your agent and the other agent are in cahoots (since he wasn't going to tell you) with the buyer and you are supposed to pretend to be in the dark until the papers are signed.
Hope you let us know what happened.

Profile picture for FAXtopia
Why would your agent take off the lock box ?
Bad move.

Profile picture for Gabilan Properties
Here is a more likely scenario:

Selling agent tries to coordinate with listing agent for final walk through. Listing agent is too busy golfing to be bothered with calling back. Selling agent and buyer have limited amount of time to do walk through, but because listing agent does not return calls to say he has removed lock box, or coordinate time to meet them at the property, they decide to enter house through other means.

It is a vacant house they are under contract to buy and close in the next few days. Is this really a big deal?

I find it funny how others who do not have but half a story are so willing to throw the selling agent under the bus.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Here is a more likely scenario:

Ron doesn't know anymore than anyone else, makes up a might have happened this way positive spin scenario and then suggests it's no big deal anyway

Here's my scenario..
Bad Agents doing bad things that you can read about on any RE site in Blogs/comments by Realtors/Agents exist in large part because of Agents who make up excuses for not doing anything and then suggest it's no big deal anyway

I don't find that funny

Well, of course, if the agent is bringing the buyer in for a walkthrough and the property is not in the expected condition, that is not advantageous for the seller, but that's almost another story.

User's complaint is that the buyer's agent allowed their property to be damaged and didn't say anything. Now, the buyer's agent has forced entry and User has Had Enough. It's easy to say, "go report that agent and - you know what, you should sue them;" the fact is, if the sale closes, then it's the BUYER that will have to deal with the damaged property.

From a societal point of view, it is important that civilians report transgressions wherever they're observed. As a practical matter, life is short - you have to pick and choose your battles, don't you?

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Me...
I don't think life is short nor do I think it has a lot of value if it's spent making excuses for avoiding the battles

I think "choose your battles" for many (most if I'm totally honest) in reality means..
What's easier or more convenient or profitable for me or What's on TV?

Just a follow-up to my original post. 

My agent isn't in cahoots with the other agent.  He doesn't want me to jeopardize the sale or settlement over her actions by letting my emotions get the best of me. He said he had words with her after finding her in the house and assured me she wasn't going to cause any trouble at the closing on Friday.

The buyer's agent has been extremely difficult, demanding and unprofessional from the day the contract was signed, delay in getting the earnest money deposit, not returning calls or emails well after deadlines were missed for getting several contingencies removed,and other things. Three weeks ago my neighbor saw some "strangers" going into the garage (where the last of my belongings were being stored) and came over to find out who they were and why they were in the garage (which had a lock box on it) - it was the buyer, the agent and a group of her relatives - so going through the window in the house was the last straw.

I am a little calmer since my original post.  I do think once all is said and done I will contact her broker and possibly the state RE board.

Thanks for all the advice.  Now just have keep my mouth shut on Friday. ;-)

"It is a vacant house they are under contract to buy and close in the next few days. Is this really a big deal?"

Yes, it's a huge deal. Ever heard of liability? Something stupid happens and someone gets hurt? Who do you think is up to be sued?

Something gets damaged? Is the buyer going to offer that they damaged it after they broke into the house? I had a buyer who wanted to buy my house, which had a gas fireplace that had never been turned on. They wanted to unscrew the cap and see if gas came out. I said "no way". If you want to hire someone to check the gas line, we'll let you/them in - but no way you take a wrench to a pipe.

Short version - Gas line was okay. Lesson learned? Plumber who came out said that simply attempting to uncap the line would have more likely caused the pipe to spin inside the wall, causing a gas leak - one that would have been hard to detect/correct. What if this was one of the things on the buyer's list of "to do's" when their REA did their B&E event?

BTW - That same buyer was let into the house 3 days before close of escrow by the buy-side REA, so the buyer could move their furnishings into the house/garage. I "didn't mind...did I?"

"As a practical matter, life is short - you have to pick and choose your battles, don't you?"

But, that's just the point, isn't it? This is not a battle the OP should have to fight. They're paying a REA to manage the listing, transaction, etc. And, they're also paying a commission to the buy-side REA, who is also supposed to be making sure things are done correctly. So, when the buy-side REA behaves unethically (at best) and/or illegally (at worst), who should be leading the effort to protect their client's interests?

Profile picture for hpvanc
The really sad part, and I admit I am guilty as well, is no one had the guts to suggest that charges be filed, and the agent be reported to the state licensing authority, before the closing. 

Allowing the closing to proceed and dealing with the transgressions afterward is more than a little hypocritical.  What we as a society let slide in the name of sales i.e. pick your battles, is what is ultimately destroying our economy. 

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Thank you Ron, for posting that you are a "professional burglar", and that you encourage your clients to learn from you and burglarize private properties owned by someone else too, and consider it "no big deal".  I guess that means you consider Watergate no big deal either, regardless of all the people that did prison time because of it and the start of an impeachment process, and the resignation of a President.

Perhaps Nixon should have hired you to represent Halderman, Ehlichman, Michell and Dean since you think that intentional burglary is so easily justified?

I'll make sure to place you on my "do not call" list...
Your ethical standards do not measure up to my requirements.

Any agent that is not willing to file a police report about an intentional burglary is also not qualified to represent me, regardless of the purpose or intent of the burglary.

Well, this has just gotten silly. Closing is Friday, User has stated that - above all - they need the sale to close, advising towards that end should be the first order of business.

If the sale doesn't close, User may well want to pursue legal, police, and regulatory action against everyone involved. If the sale does close, well, User can fill us in on Monday if they're so inclined.

For advisors who have taken big swings here and missed, it should be noted that the listing agent is not especially responsible for securing the property, the fact that the co-broker is paid out of proceeds from the seller does not mean that they represent the seller's interests, and that licensees have a duty to the public.

In my opinion, it is that "duty to the public" that provides an avenue to pursue, through the regulatory authorities. I do not think that the police would have arrested anybody if they had been called to the scene while inside the property; they may very well have left them alone. Even filing a police report - what were the parties doing? Well, they were walking around with clipboards. Did they steal or damage anything? Well, they could have. Oh.

One thing I'm curious about - User, if you weren't in town, how did you know that there was a story to get out of your agent?

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Fair is fair..
I didn't agree with Ron and said so but I don't think Ron posted he is a Professional Burglar or any of the other stuff ya posted Pasa

Out of line is out of line and overkill in the BS/Insult dept is just immature imo
I'm flagging your entire post as a Personal insult/attack and hope others do also (Don't want to do it without showing you the respect of telling you I am or how I feel about that post)

Totally uncalled for, immature, socially inept, embarrassing to me as a Zillow poster and that's my honest opinion

Profile picture for blue screen exile
"they decide to enter house through other means.
" -

YES, it is an extremely BIG DEAL!!!!   That is "PRIVATE PROPERTY" and the contract gives them absolutely NO authority to enter without permission!  That "other means" is called "breaking and entering", also known as "burglary"!  It is 100% "illegal" under any conditions, unless they have a search warrant, or someone is in eminent danger, or law enforcement has reasonable cause to believe there is a crime in progress and doesn't have the time to process a search warrant.

Any agent that says it is "ok" to "enter by other means" and states it is "no big deal" is implying they do it fairly frequently, which means they are burglarizing private properties, which by definition, makes them a "burglar".

Until escrow closes, the property still is owned by the seller, not the buyer.  The buyer and buyer's agent doesn't have any right to be in the property without the seller's permission.  If the lock box was removed, then the property is no longer to be accessible to random agents and their clients.  Even being on the property at all without permission is "trespassing".

And if the listing agent is going to provide no security of any kind and just let any random vagrants in any time they like, and not bother keeping any record of who is in the property when?  Then there is no reason to have any agents involved in the transaction in the first place.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Yep...
If anyone doesn't think Pasa was totally out of line (Besides Pasa)
Please speak up and explain it to me

A whole thread on doing the right thing/taking a stand so let's see who practices the advice they give..I bet Life is to short, ain't that important wins ;)

Profile picture for blue screen exile
46 people served prison time for the burglary, wire tapping and subsequent cover-up of the 1972 Watergate burglary of the Democrat National Committee's headquarters office, even though only 5 burglars actually entered the office.

Nixon was never charged and never indicted, and never admitted any wrong doing, and was pardoned by his prior Vice president Ford after Nixon's resignation.   It appears that all the burglars wanted was to be paid for some information that the California Republican Party wanted for political campaigning purposes.  It appears that the information actually obtained was pretty useless for the intended purpose.  It appears that President Ford benefited just as much from the Burglary as Nixon did, being on the same political ticket; perhaps more, as the investigation and resignation is what moved him up to the status of President.

The "ends" does not justify the means.  It is not hard to ask for permission, and in most cases, a delay in closing one day is not that big a deal.  In most cases, I can't think of any reason that a little bit of new information would justify a property crime.

Profile picture for PukonYukon

I agree to continue with closing then file a formal report.
The agent is the only one that the complaint needs to be filed against.
agents like that likely do other things that get overlooked as well.
You own the risk to the home and to persons visiting it until closing, if that agent had been injured while going through window they could have taken you to court and likely won (ignorant but true)

Having a license does not equal having the right to gain unlawful entry to your home.  Imagine if it didn't close on friday and you discover the window is damaged which because a repair issue for this contract or other future one.

Profile picture for Cooj
  • Cooj
So happy that someone else sees the listing agent as part of the problem.
Once he was made aware that the property was being vandalized, he should have taken action immediately to at least notify the seller. 
When I said they were in cahoots this is exactly what I meant. He is complicit in these actions with an obvious payoff of his commission.
Fearing the loss of commission led him to make decisions that were not ethical or legal. He, more than the neighbor who found them in the garage, because of the implied trust placed in him by the seller to manage the sell of the property. As S0-Cal pointed out  "Ever heard of liability? Something stupid happens and someone gets hurt? Who do you think is up to be sued? "
So while the buyers agent clearly has no boundaries, perhaps the sellers agent needs to dust off his halo as well. 
  "He doesn't want me to jeopardize the sale or settlement over her actions by letting my emotions get the best of me."  
 He wasn't afraid you'd loose your temper, he was afraid you'd lose his commission.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
I'm sure that many on this website consider me a "legalist" and "religious fanatic", but just in case anyone is interested in what Jesus had to say on the subject...

John 10.1  "truly I tell you, the one not entering through the door.... but going up by another way, that one is a thief and a robber".

(Never mind if they didn't take anything and didn't have any intent of taking anything, the problem is the entry method and lack of permission).

Sure, if an owner locks themselves out, they might enter through a window of their own home, but that is entirely different.  Sure, if an owner loses their keys they might hire a locksmith to pick the lock or break in, but that is still entirely different.  The issue is "owner permission", or legal cause to be on and in the property.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
"I also heard of a story where someone flushed the cap from a shaving cream can down the toilet ... the only way to remove the cap was to bust a hole in the side of the toilet." -

That makes absolutely no sense of any kind!  A toilet snake will usually work just fine for such things.  And if not, it is easy to pull the toilet, remove the obstruction, and reset the toilet with only the cost of a new wax ring and perhaps new mounting bolts.  There is no reason one should be damaging a perfectly good toilet to remove an obstruction, as doing so would not only mean pulling and resetting a toilet, but also buying a new toilet.  And if one was going to buy a new toilet anyway, why would anyone waste the time breaking a hole in the old one?

Profile picture for Gabilan Properties
Pasa writes: The issue is "owner permission", or legal cause to be on and in the property

The OP write: "The buyer's agent was supposed to arrange with my agent for the final walk-though today before the settlement on Friday."

To me this implies the seller knew the buyers were going to visit the house one more time to verify condition and ostensibly gave permission to do so.

This is a gray area. If I were the selling agent and I showed up and the lock box was gone, I would have have called the LA to verify I needed to get in to do the final walk through. "I am not a crook" or burglar as Pasa so implies, but I stand by my original post that due to the circumstances it was no big deal!

Pasa, I respect your reasoning and logic but sometimes you take an all or nothing stance and in the real world, there has to be some room for these gray areas.

1. 1
  2. 2