Profile picture for Josh Reiter

Buyer consultation questions?

Does anyone have a good list of qualifying/consultation questions for buyers?
Maybe one for experienced and one for first time buyers?
I have started a list, but I want to make sure I don't leave anything out.
Thanks.
  • April 16 2014 - US
  • 0

I don't have a list of questions, but there are some things that I want to know before we get started working together.

* What's their timeline?
* What's their budget, and have they talked to a lender about that yet?
* What are they looking for (are their expectations somewhat reasonable)?
* What's their history in home shopping (have they been through several agents already?)
* Are they willing to pay over list price for a property?
* Would they be willing to commit to me as their agent?
* What do they expect from me?

As a lender, the three most important things are 1. Assets (down payment) 2. Credit (do they have any past issues with BK, Short sale, foreclosures, etc) 3. Income- What kind of house they can afford. That will give you the basics, but the best thing you could do is have a lender "pre-approve" your buyer so you know for sure if they can qualify or not. If you need any help with getting a better list together, give me a call, I do multiple pre-approvals a day and would love to help you out.

Certainly questions about budget but I agree, I don't try to qualify the buyers for a loan - I refer them to someone who can assist with that.

Regarding consultation questions...
What are the must-have features of their next home?
What's most important about their future neighborhood?
What's most important to them about the process?

Hi Josh,

I would explain the current market and ask 'are you ready to speak with a mortgage professional to determine your purchasing power?' And have a preferred lender on speed dial. If they are not ready to get pre-qualified, they are not ready to buy.

I agree with Tim. Realtors are not licensed loan originators and cannot "qualify" a buyer.  I do always ask if they've been pre-qualified, or pre-approved with a lender.  If they say yes, then I ask for the lender's info.  If no, then I refer them to a few lenders.  I may go ahead and show them a few houses, to get to know them, their wants/needs, and to develop a rapport with them. But I won't take them out again until I get that pre-approval.

Share your list and I'm sure many would have suggestions or additions.   

Are you a Realtor or wanna be lender? You are going to ask questions to a buyer and then disqualify them? I leave that to the lenders to do since it is what they do so well. I don't pretend to know a buyers borrowing ability so I send them to a good lender to be qualified.