Profile picture for bwesseler

Buyers Agent Help

So my husband and I currently live in a small village and would like to buy in the same village. There is 2 local real estate agencies in our small town that I would say probably list 95% of the homes for sale. I am familiar with both agencies as this is a small town (where everybody knows each other) and have gone to school most of the agents kids...
Problem:
Everyone (friends and family) I ask for recommandations on REAs refers me to these two local agencies.... and while I love to support local business, I do not feel comfortable going to these local agencies for a buyer's agent. I do not feel like my local REA could represent me, the buyer, in good faith when they may be possibly showing me a house that they are the listing agent on. Please keep in mind that I have not contacted either of these agencies yet (or any others).
So that leads me to my question....
Where do I turn to from here??
The recommadations from friends and family have not been too helpful.
There is plenty of real estate agents in a nearby cities (20 mins away), but I worry that they will be not knowledgable of my town (as in differences between living in the town vs. the village, ect.) due to a different demographic between the 2 places.
I was also if/what buyers agent fees are, and what is the typical cost of them?? Is that a cost that is included in your closing costs, or is it an out of pocket expense??
Your advice is greatly appreciated!!

January 15 2013 - US

You are ahead of most buyers as you recognize the potential for conflict of interest with what the real estate industry calls 'dual agency', an agent who represents a buyer and whose firm represents the sellers for the home of the buyer's interest.  The smaller the area of real estate, the more potential for dual agency to occur.

One way to find an exclusive buyer agent/agency, an agency that does not list properties but only represemts buyers, is to go to the National Association of Exclusive Buyers website (NAEBA.org). At this website you will learn the differences between the types of buyer representation consumers should understand. This website will help you find an EBA in your area, give a list of interview questions to ask potential buyer agents during their interview with you, and help you to understand the level of service a buyer should expect and demand from a Real Estate Agent.

As an EBA in the Triangle Area of North Carolina for 11 plus years, I am always surprised how consumers still do not know they have other choices than dual agency and can have a buyer agent whom only has a buyer's best interests in mind.

Buying a home should be a wonderful and fun experience and having the right real etstate agent will give you that experience. You will not be disappointed by the NAEBA website. **  NAEBA.org

Barbara G

Usually the buyers agent is paid through the seller of the property and it still would not be out of pocket for you.  I represent many buyers here in the Indiana area and have never had funds paid from the buyer but it depends on your agreement.  I lived in a small village in Missouri for years and there was only two brokerages and very few agents in that town.  You can choose someone from another village even 20 miles away and as long as they are in the same Realtors local Association it shouldn't be a problem.
they then can pull comps in your area.  If you check around you should be able to find a realtor that has sold in your area also. 
Brings back fond memories of a long ago time.  Small towns are soo wonderful in so many aspects. 
Good luck hope you find the very best.

Bypass the Buyers Agent and Win!!!
Profile picture for joe4562
Latest reply by joe4562
Can't get the keys!
Latest reply by Pasadenan
July 20 | 7 answers
How much does a Home Inspection cost?
Profile picture for Mike Opyd
Latest reply by Mike Opyd
July 08 | 16 answers
Can the seller keep the earnest money after inspection?
Profile picture for zuser20140628062544588
Latest reply by zuser20140628062544588
July 06 | 18 answers
4 unit Multi family house
Profile picture for moneyclip8565
Latest reply by moneyclip8565
July 04 | 2 answers