Buyers agent

While real estate law varies from state-to-state, generally, when purchasing a newly constructed home, it can be a good idea to have a buyer's agent. In many states, that is the buyers agent plays when buyers purchase newly constructed homes. The main benefit of buyer agency is that buyers can be assured that they have their own real estate agent who is looking out for that buyer's best interests. Additionally, this service is generally "free" to the buyer, because the buyer agent's commission is typically paid as part of the overall seller's commission. And, for newly constructed homes, the price buyers pay when they work with an agent, and the price they pay if not working with an agent, is generally the same. You maybe paying too much if you don't have an agent on your side.

• September 17 2010 - Charlotte

I agree if the home is new and dealing with Builders you especially need a buyer's agent the Contractors will try to make a high profit off you if not, they have the advantage of knowing the ins and outs of the home, also you will be able to view more homes to compare the different floor plans.

An agent thinks you should hire an agent? wow! call the press!

My barber also thinks I should get a haircut!

Roberto....HAHA....Thanks for the pithy comment!

I agree as well!

Profile picture for DavidMahoney
The orignal answer to get a buyers agent is true. There is no other industry that I know of that you can hire a professional without costing you (the buyer) anything. You dont need to sign a contract, just find someone that you trust, enjoy working with, and be loyal to them.

I talked with a customer recently. She called the office about a listing. Unfotunately it was under agreement. I tried getting some information from her to help her in her home search. She said.. OH NO.. Id NEVER give you that OR work with anyone exclusively. I then asked, how are you conducting a home search? She then said... I just call off the ads, just like Im calling you now. The voice tone was almost as if to say... she was smarter than that. In her next breath she said to me. "Ive been looking for over 2 years".

I wanted to ask her.. "and how is that strategy working for you?"

It makes perfect sense to me, she's NOT utilizing a service FREE to her. She's calling blinding from dated an old information albiet internet or print.

Does it not make sense to work with someone with all the tools and experience? Access to everything that happens, as it happens? Know of a really great property thats about ready or just hit the market? Easy access to public records to see what was borrowed and guestimate what might be owed? Or maybe its just the experiece of knowing what questions to ask and put yourself in a better negotiating position? Knowledge is power.

I have to be honest.. I wished her a good day, hung up the phone, and had a good laugh. The odds are she is either still looking, paid too much, OR not happy with her choice. 

Yes, it is advisable as long as they do not just sign in the buyer and turn them over to the builders rep.

A good buyers agent will read the builders one sided contract and point out the pitfalls, negotiate certain terms, options and premuims.

Eve in Orlando

This is certainly the case in the Charlottesville Market.
A great deal of my business is new construction, representing ONLY the buyer.

Profile picture for Erick Rodriguez
Excellent point and advice Kevin