Buying Foreclosures

I feel that more foreclosures are hitting my market every week.  Does anyone have a crystal ball?
www.exit2wilmington.com

August 19 2010 - Wilmington

I may not have a crystal ball but Wilmington was featured on the news this morning as one of the places likely to be hit by a second wave of the recession.

Thanks, Sheri.  I heard about that article yesterday.  What a great opportunity for buyers to pick up some deals.  How is everything in Garner?  If you ever need Tree Work then contact my friend Brent Lineberger of Lineberger Tree Service 919-815-6789.

I think we are going to see a lot more foreclosures before it is going to get better.

Hello Paul, I am a local lender here in Wilmington. Most of my purchase deals are foreclosure and short sale. I have some great programs available for bank owned property. I have access to Homepath Mortgages and $100 down on HUD foreclosures. Also have renovation mortgages for the fixer uppers. If I can help you and your buyers, please keep me in mind! The beach will always be a place where people want to buy. We will come out of this!

Paul,

Thanks, I will keep the trees guys number handy.  With our windy hurricane season coming up you never know when you will need someone:)  Things in the Raleigh area have been better than most areas from my understanding.  Our prices have remained relatively stable compared to other areas but the number of sales have decreased significantly.  I am looking forward to coming to Wilmington this winter and finding a good foreclosure deal.  I think the next year will be incredible for buyers who have ever considered a house near or at the beach.

"The Weber Team" hit the nail on the head! I don't think we will be done with foreclosures and short sales for a bit.

Hey Paul--I keep hearing about the shadow inventory from the banks, but have not seen it yet here in the Wilmington market.  If it is going to arrive, we should see it this winter.  Be glad to get rolling on these so current home lookers get the value buys and near term sellers can see some predictability in the market.

I've heard that by next year 50% of the homes on the market will be either forclosures or short sales. Although sometimes it feels like that already!

Profile picture for wrestlingterp
Is there a "rule of thumb" for buyers when making offers on short-sales?  In other words, is offering 80% or 90% of the listed price normal?  Or are there too many variables such as what the bank is doing with the owner to to know what to offer? 

There has almost never been a better time to buy investment properties. If you have been waiting for the best time to buy an investment property, do it now! At least here in Phoenix, the rental market is HOT and if you find a great deal on a foreclosure or any sale, rent it out, the property is almost guaranteed to cash-flow. Then when the market improves, and we all know it will...eventually, sell the property for a tidy profit! Or just keep renting it out for steady cash flow. Now is the time..jump in!

Hi Wrestlingterp,

What I have seen here in the Wilmington area market is that you have to see how the home is priced.  For example, I just put a new listing townhome on the market today where there are a lot of competitors.  We just priced it lowest in the neighborhood.  We have no idea exactly what the bank will take, but it will have to be within 10% of where the bpo (broker price opinion) for the bank to approve.  Meaning short sales are good deals if you can be patient with the bank approval process, but a great deal is an opinion. Yet a 10% below market value after this 5+ year decline is a great deal to most.

The shadow inventory is very real.  In 2009 there were just over 1300 foreclosure actions initiated in the County Clerks office.  Today, there are well over 1400 and we still have Q4 to go.

Banks have become somewhat more pliable, but the FDIC guarantees, particularly with the now defunct Cooperative, Cape Fear and now Woodlands Inventory is preventing any sort of real deal making.

The difficulty I see is that while there is an ample supply of willing owner/occupant buyers of foreclosures, the availability of purchase and rehab money is difficult at best.  There are a couple of lenders offering
203-k loans, they are cumbersome and timeconsuming to obtain.

Buying Foreclosures
Profile picture for Kirk Pugh
Latest reply by Kirk Pugh
short sale
Profile picture for Nathan Wolf
Latest reply by Nathan Wolf

1. 4164 Breezewood Dr APT 102, Wilmington, NC Home For Sale
    4164 Breezewood Dr APT 102, Wilmington, NC 28412

2. 3301 Kirby Smith Dr, Wilmington, NC Home For Sale
    3301 Kirby Smith Dr, Wilmington, NC 28409

3. 6801 Finian Dr, Wilmington, NC Home For Sale
    6801 Finian Dr, Wilmington, NC 28409