Profile picture for Willow09

Buying Home from Toll Brothers in Fox Drive Moseley VA

Hello, I am planning to buy a new Home from Toll Brothers in Fox Drive, VA. Was wondering how the negotiating works. As I am not going through a Realtor can I ask them to reduce the final price by 3%. On the other hand what am I loosing if I don't have a Realtor working for me.

March 21 2012 - Richmond

This is an old question, so I hope you have found your answer! Did you end up building with or without a Realtor? What was your experience?
As mentioned, having a Realtor is beneficial as we work for YOU and represent your best interest, not the builders. In addition, we can help you make sound choices when it comes to resale. (Such as to add a fireplace or not, to have a walk up basement or just an escape window) We can also help you with upgrade selections as well...where to spend your money and where you can skip and save later down the road.
And, most importantly, we help you with the contract you are signing. We can help you understand exactly what you are agreeing to.
I hope by this time you have settled into you new home and that you ended up having a great experience. New construction is fun and yet a little stressful at the same time.
For anyone else reading this, if you want the benefit of a Realtor on your side in a new construction home transaction, it is very important you obtain representation before you visit a new home construction sales center. Many builders will not allow you the use of a Realtor once you have visited with them.

I have not heard of Toll Brothers reducing their price because commissions are built into the price. Also when I take my clients to builders, I look out for my clients' interests as the sales reps represent only the builder. I have even accompanied my clients for their home inspections and walk-throughs. I am a Virginia realtor and can help you. I will even contribute some toward your closing costs. However, I must accompany you to the Toll Brothers homes the very first time--otherwise they may not honor the representation. Please call me at 703-945-0875 if you want me to accompany you to the builder. My email is ggill@kw.com.
Cheers, Gurpriya Gill

I would advise you to utilize a REALTOR.  The salesperson is working in the best interest of the seller (the builder).  You can ask them to reduce the price by 3%, however, I doubt they will.  Commission is already built into the sales prices, normally 3% for the buyers side and 3% for the sellers side.  The builder will love the fact you have no agent representing you so they do not have to share the commission.  Since you are already paying for it why not utilize the services of a REALTOR?

Hi Willow,
Well, first you are losing some peace if mind, or you would not be asking this question, but saving 3% is a great motivator and I hear that.
In terms of how the negotiating works, not sure what you are really asking here. Negotiating for a home is similar to any other negotiation, however, most new home builders do not negotiate base prices, just buildouts and closing costs, and they typically lock you in to their lender and their closing company. Even your 3% might be hard to reflect in the selling price, as that may lower comps for appraisals and make future sales at full price problematic.
Hope these comments help, and best wishes!  Jim