Buying Leads

I just recently got my real estate license back in December and I'm working hard to build up my business.  I have seen a couple of lead provider companies out there selling leads for around $45 dollars.  Have any other agents used any of these companies?  What has been your experience?  Thanks!

February 16 2010 - San Antonio

Hi Angela, I've tried a few lead provider companies.  The one I've had the most success with is Infofree. I wasn't expecting much because it was only about $60 a month, but they had the most accurate info by far.  Plus, I got to build my list using criteria like household income, home value, length of residence, or age. Best of luck to you!

May 21
Profile picture for jhfla2007

[spam]   Pretty neat!

May 07
Speaking of expired listings. What is the best way to obtain owner contact information without going to the tax office?

January 28
Speaking of expired leads. What is the best way to find the owner information without going to the tax office?

January 28
This websites provides free leads, you pay a referral fee if a deal is closed and out of your commission of course.
All their leads are verified.
Good luck

January 21
Profile picture for RayOrtiz
I have good news for all of those who had bad experiences with buying leads. Check out this video that shows you how to get FREE leads for your realty business.
[Website removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for information.]

Zillow is great....!  I have certainly made a return on my investment with Zillow....! but no matter how much I invest in online marketing..... having a diversified strategy involving 7-10 methods of lead generation is always best.  I work referrals so hard, it is insane.....  no matter where I am at or what I am doing, I am marketing....sometimes overtly, and sometimes covertly..... it just depends.  Creating and Implementing strategy is important..... and what a lot of agents have trouble with....., Just Keep Showing Up to work and you will do excellent...!  Best of luck...!

It has been my experience that if you have to buy a lead it is no good.  If they will sell it to you they have probably already sold it to someone else as well.  Early on I tried this and most of the people I talked with just filled out a form on line and were not even in the market to buy or sell at this time.  Going to get coffee and talking with the people there would be time and money better spent than paying 45 bucks for an email address to a lead that goes no where.  

Profile picture for JasonSEO
I am NOT a Realtor--I work FOR Realtors doing SEO.  Although I say that having a well-optimized website is critical (because you should hire me to do it for you), I would say that getting in good with mortgage loan officers is a top-notch "traditional" way to get quality leads. 

Trust me, I know many successful agents who have only a few loan officers as friends and make their living from these connections!

fsbos and Expired listings are the best and free leads!

A one day sign on from first contact to contract is a pretty ambitious goal. People calling agents for information need time to evaluate the professional they just met even if that agent is a referral.

You know I have to say that everything everyone is saying makes perfect sense but at the same time I hear a lot of work, work, work, sweat, sweat,sweaqt, sweat, network, network, network, and promotion of traditional methods of lead generation. I have to think that in the 21st century, social media, everyone online, 75% of everyone at a minimum starts looking on the internet there has to be a few companies that have figured out how to refer buyers to Realtors in an effective, non-traditional manner. I am going to see what Zillow/Yahoo offers and what Realtor.com offers because all I need is an opportunity to to connect with a person expressing interest in some way and I can screen and filter them, qualify them, and get them to work with me if they are legitimate in less than a days worth of time. There has to be something that works like that.

The best way to get leads is to promote your listings and/or other agents listings within your office...make sure you get their permission first but if you can bring them a buyer from promoting their listing I am sure they won't mind. I have spent way too much money on buying leads from all kinds of lead companies and all I got from it was a dry bank account. Craigslist/postlets is the best! Good luck to you! :)

Where is the company located?  There are a few calling from SF East Bay the response is at best a waster of your $. 

When I get call, I tell these telemarketers that I am willing to pay a referral
fee for any transactions after closing. Usually they hang up.

You are better off to get leads from other realtors who have screened the clients and have worked with them.  These click by accident contact is not worth $45.  

Thanks so much everyone for your responses!  I do self gen as I have been in sales and cold calling for a long time.  Just a bit anxious to get up and going, and of course curious so see everyone's (especially the successful agents) tactics at gaining new leads/business, thanks again!

Bruce said it all....

I have not heard of any great lead sources for Real Estate.  I have bought leads for my loan officers in the past and mortgage leads do have a higher conversion rate than real estate leads and are less expensive.

I have several companies calling me each week to sell me leads but have not given any of them a try as of yet. 

This is a good question. I'm more in agreement with real estate mike. You can pay for some leads, but you may want to try getting out into the world a little bit. Scary, I know, but it's important to create a great first impression.

If you get paid leads, especially at $45 per, make sure they're qualified.

I know other realtors who don't pay for leads, but they only get a few deals per month. Others pay for leads and get the same results. It's all in how you present yourself and follow through on your business.

Join the chamber, give time to your community, meet new people, ask everyone you meet if they need a great realtor, you!. best of luck

There are good lead companies, but beware!  At $45 per lead, they should be qualified.  Meaning that the lead company has talked to them and they are serious buyers or sellers and the lead isn't working with another company.
I have only dealt with internet leads.  Some companies have people interested in finding the value of their homes, sign in and then sell their contact info as a lead.
I do have friends that run their business from the internet lead generating websites.  Just beware!

You can generate leads by advertising on real estate show.tv

Our office has tried a number of methods for buying leads.  We've tried paying a flat fee per lead and we've tried paying a percentage of the commission per lead closed. We never had any success with any flat fee lead companies. You may have to go through 20 - 30 leads before you get one that will actually buy a home.

Having said that we have had a lot of success with the % per lead closed companies. The leads tend to be high quality and the leads are really looking to buy soon.

I will also say that I think that the success you have with either of these methods may vary on where in the country you live. I think it is very regional.

I will also agree with the previous poster that long term you should be looking for a way or ways to generate your own leads. But short term and to start I think there is nothing wrong with buying leads.

February 16 2010
Why buy leads?   They're everywhere.   I think the ones you find on your own are much better than any you can buy.   Start working FSBOs and Expired.  You know for sure they want to sell.

February 16 2010