Profile picture for visigoth4

Buying a Condo in Dorchester/Savin Hill area

I'm currently looking to purchase a condo and I've been looking in South Boston and thinking about looking at the Dorchester area, particular Savin Hill. I keep getting mixed reviews. I know the area isn't that great which doesn't bother me. What my biggest concern is able to sell the condo in about 5 years. How is the Dorchester market looking? Right now i can't find anything I like in South Boston and I feel as though Dorchester might be the way to go in terms of a short and long term investment.
  • August 09 2011 - North Dorchester

Profile picture for TerritoryRE
Consider Jamaica Plain as an alternative. JP has a lot going for it including reasonably inexpensive housing prices but is a lot closer to the gentrification "pop" than Savin Hill or really any Dorchester neighborhood is.

Right now you can buy a condo in JP for around $175 per square foot. Not a bad deal for a neighborhood with subway access, a phenomenal park and a new Whole Foods supermarket.

Use this link to see all of the active listings in JP 

Profile picture for BTera
I have been renting in Savin Hill /North Dorchester for 3 years now and loved it so much that we just bought bought a condo in the same neighborhood. We have watched the neighborhood improve dramatically over the last three years. It seems like many people are investing, building, opening stores and buying homes. We are hoping that Savin Hill is the "new South Boston" in 5 years.

Savin Hill is actually quite nice. Any area has parts that may be more dilapidated than others, but there has been recent developments in Savin Hill that attempt to take advantage of the historical nature of the community and slowly bring it back to its former glory. Prior to the crash a few years back, there were actually concerns that folks that had been there for generations or wanted to move back to their childhood homes would be priced out, primarily because many of the multi-family homes that stood in the neighborhood had been converted to condos and significantly upgraded.

That being said, I recently viewed an ad regarding the DNA Lofts, of which the remainder are being auctioned. The Lofts are absolutely beautiful and actually share the property with a historical warehouse. It truly is a unique development! They are located right in Savin Hill and just a short bit away from the train. The only complaints clients of mine have had is that there's no pool, but there is a beautiful community roof deck!

Best of luck with your search!

Is this something you plan on renting after the 5 years?  If so... I would recommend staying to South Boston, since it will be a more marketable rental as well.  If you are not planning on renting after the 5 years don't buy at all, since you will not have paid off much principal in the first 5 years and you're costs and risk will not be worth buying for such a short period of time.

Profile picture for shapiroamg

5 years is a long time. I would hope values have moved up by then but it can vary town to town, neighborhood to neighborhood or street to street.

Hopefully if prices are right then you will see more people move into the area attracted by reasonable prices.