Profile picture for schaples

Buying a bigger house and selling current house

Hello all,
I'm just looking for advice and possibly seeing if there is anyone out there that has gone through the same thing.
We need to get a bigger house.  I make more than double what I made when I bought the current house. 
Anywho, we are in the process of getting our current house updated, just needs carpet, paint, replace a bathtub.  I owe $100k on it and hope to be able to sell for $125k-$130k.  We are looking at places further out and the price would be around $160k.  I have $7500 I can put down, but the kicker is my DTI currently is 40% due to the current mortgage and car payments.  I can't use my GF on the loan because she just started working again and the lenders I talked to said that she'd have to have 6 months of history before she could qualify.
Currently we will have to sell the house and either hope to find a replacement that we like quickly, or move to a temporary place until we find something if we sell.
I'm not against that idea because it seems to be the only option, but it's hard when you have 2 kids, one of which is disabled.
If any lenders look at this here a some numbers you can run and see if you can help.
Credit score:660-680
Annual income:$80k
Available downpayment:$7k
DTI(including current mortgage/auto loans/anticipated 2nd mortgage):61%
I'm anticipating the new mortgage to be around $1200 I'm figuring to get my DTI to 56% which is what I'm told FHA requires, would take about $20K.
It just amazes me that 7 years ago, with a 620 credit score and nothing down I could get a house while making significantly less than I do now. 
  • April 23 2013 - Northrich
  • 0
    0Yes

  • Report a Problem

    Please enter a valid email address.

    Content flagged

    We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

    We're sorry. This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.

Be a Good Neighbor. Be respectful and on-topic. No spam or self-promotion! See our Good Neighbor Policy.

 
 

Answers (1)

Depending on your market you might be able to find a seller of a bigger house that will agree to hold off with the sale of his house until you sell yours. It is called a Hubbard clause. 
 It might be in your best interest to pay down some of your debt or wait a few more months and try to save up a bit more for the down payment. Teh best thing to do would be to sit down with a mortgage writer and follow the advice.
 Good luck
  • April 23 2013
  • 0Yes

  • Report a Problem

    Please enter a valid email address.

    Content flagged

    We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.

    We're sorry. This service is temporarily unavailable. Please come back later and try again.