Profile picture for soulsolution

Buying a condo in Baltimore downtown

Hi All,

I've been living in Baltimore downtown for almost 4 years now, and even otherwise I've been a city person. It's time for me to buy (my first house & hopefully before the end of this year) and I am unable to decide whether to buy in Baltimore downtown or move to the suburbs.

Suburbs are definitely cheaper and I get more house for my money, but I am guessing I will be a little bored in the 'burbs. On the same hand, downtown living is definitely expensive, but at the same time, downtown properties appreciate more.

I am 28, currently single and probably will get married in the next 3 years. I work very close to downtown (3 miles). What do you guys suggest - should I move to the burbs or should I stay in the city (till I can!) keeping in mind both short time and long time interests?

Please suggest - I am so confused!!

June 30 2009 - Downtown

There are many deciding factors in choosing where to buy.You want to buy for YOU. Where will you be happiest? If you think you will be bored in the county, then stay in the city! If you are worried you won't get what you want for what you can spend, then the county may be an option.I joke that you need a passport to cross the city/county line because many people feel they are worlds apart. However, it is nearby!!!The best bet would be to speak with a loan officer to find out what you can truly afford to find out what may be best for you. Working with a REALTOR who does a buyer counseling session to determine the most important details to you should help you as well.I hope this helps!Sincerely,Marney KirkKeller Williams Excellence Realty

Well, without knowing you at all, but reading your note carefully, it sounds like you love the city, so stay there and enjoy. I lived in the city, both NY and Washington, DC til the fourth break in of my home, then moved to the burbs. I loved the city, and miss it sometimes, but mostly I am now in love with the burbs, and visit the city. I was about 8 or 9 years older than you when I moved to the burbs. I would NOT predicate my decisions on what interest rates may or may not be when you move from the city. Live each day now to the fullest, embrace the city, and the city will let you know when it is time for you to move to the burbs, similarly to the way it let me know, but hopefully not for the SAME reasons! Jim

I suggest take a paper and draw a line in the middle.

Pick a suburban place you will consider and start writing the pros & cons.

Plan for the future.  Plan how long you will like live in this house.  A lot people change their first home in 5 years.

Don't buy high priced house.  What I mean by that is don't buy houses that are in the top quartile.  If there are smiler houses, and price vary from 100,000 to max of 200,000.  Don't buy any houses priced at 175K or higher.

It sounds like you may not be quite ready for the burbs...what is the time spent commuting back and forth...what will you do there once you've moved there...were you planning on working out of your home to avoid a commute?  Will you buy this home with the girl you plan to marry?  If not, she may want something different...will you be able to sell or rent the property if she doesn't like it?  Which would rent more easily, the city place or the place in the burbs?

Buying a condo in Baltimore downtown
Profile picture for Linda Strasberg
Latest reply by Linda Strasberg

1. 414 Water St APT 1605, Baltimore, MD Home For Sale
    414 Water St APT 1605, Baltimore, MD 21202

2. 414 Water St APT 2601, Baltimore, MD Home For Sale
    414 Water St APT 2601, Baltimore, MD 21202

3. 414 Water St APT 2412, Baltimore, MD Home For Sale
    414 Water St APT 2412, Baltimore, MD 21202