Profile picture for Tubu

Buying a home on VA loan as Active Soldier with mid credit score of 600.

I am a Active Duty Soldier want to buy a Home in the Houston, TX area using my. I  just paid the two public judgments against me this week. Can any lender work with a soldier with 600 credit score for VA loan? I want to buy in march.
  • February 11 2014 - Houston
  • 0

Profile picture for New American Funding

We will go down to a 580 credit score.

Veterans are eligible to purchase a home with the VA Home Loan and current VA mortgage holders can refinance with the VA Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loan (IRRRL). New American Funding's licensed mortgage specialists will discuss all your home financing options and qualify you for the best home loan possible.

[Self promotion removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for information.] Ask questions and ask a lot of them.  Make sure the lender you select knows VA loans and by knowing them I mean they are actively working with Veterans.  There are many companies that offer VA loans but offering them and being really good at them are two different things.

So again, ask a lot of questions and make sure you understand all your options. 

Profile picture for TracyLoggins
My husband is a Mortgage Loan Originator and I think he can help you.  He is a Military Mortgage Specialist.

I would strongly suggest you find a mortgage broker who can really work with you on mending your credit score a little bit, they're going to be the access to all the resources you need to do that. The lady I work with is phenomenal she will get you where you need to be, but you have to start now because if you don't start fixing it now, it will only get worse. If you are planning to buy in march you wanna start ASAP! Contact me if you would like more info.

First of all, thank you for serving our country. I am grateful for your service. Second, yes, I can assist you. Please get in touch with me. Thank you.

Profile picture for Mia Bendixsen JD

As a military spouse and realtor I know what you are going through wondering if you can buy a home. We have moved 5 times with my husband in the service - and bought and sold homes 4 of those times. I will be honest, the VA is looking for a 620 score minimum. You can try the gentleman below - if he offers one for less - but I have not heard of that before. Some lenders can offer loans with less of a score but not many and it will not be a VA loan. You do want to keep in mind your separation date as you need to buy a house (and close on it) a full year or more in advance of that date. That works for a VA loan or other - especially if you do not have a job in "your field" of expertise in the military. There are some variations/exceptions to that rule - but few and far between. I (as most realtors) have a list of lenders that work well with the military and should be able to tell you what you need to get that score to a 620. Good luck!

Profile picture for USMortgageRanger
Thanks for you service to our nation. As one veteran to another i do offer VA loan at 580 credit with no judgement.

I would talk to a lender now in the Houston area.  Better yet, do you have an agent you are planning to work with?  That agent can point you in the right direction for a VA lender.  I think most VA lenders want a 620 or higher.  The lender you choose can help you determine the best route to get your score up 20 more points and in the mean time you can look at houses to see what is out there and start to narrow down what exactly you want and do not want in a home.

Ok it may be a good idea to start establishing credit by opening a few credit cards, use them sparingly and keep the balances low.  Over time your credit profile will build and the score will climb.

Profile picture for Tubu
I have no credit cards but cash loan and I am about to pay that off as well.

There are lenders who work with that lower score but it may be in your best interest to attempt to raise that score a bit to take advantage of lower interest rates given to those higher scores. Most lenders like to see a score of at least 620 for VA loans.  What other items do you have on your credit report?  Any open and active credit cards?