Profile picture for frank411

Buying a home with 100% cash - gift from foreign relative?

I am interested in purchasing a HUD foreclosure with 100% cash.  The sitaution is the cash will be a gift that will be wired to me from a foreign relative.  So I am assuming since they are not a USA citizen there will be no tax implications.

Do I still need a notarized gift letter since there is no mortgage involved? Are there any other documentation requirements for this?
  • April 04 2012 - US
  • 0

You need to talk with a tax guy. There is gift tax for you, but I can't remember the amount! Usually the bank wants to see a statement that proves you have the funds to close. A verification of deposit letter works too. Your broker can walk you through that part. Definitely get with a CPA.