Buying a new home. Question about must need upgrades and location of the property

Hello Folks,

I'm a first time home buyer currently shopping for a new home.
I came across a couple of New construction projects I liked. Met the builder for one of these two.
The builder showed me the floor plans, It was an easy choice to pick the one that fits my needs (with some sacrifices of course) and is in my price range.

But the problem is that the base price comes a wee bit close to my personally set upper limit. The base price is quoted as $350k but the builder offered $5000 worth of free upgrades. I have attached the floor plans, standard options and upgrades (that I can pick from)  here

http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/uhsarp/library/Home?sort=6&page=1

Here's the listing

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8168-S-740-E-Sandy-UT-84094/2113006252_zpid/

I need some recommendations from fellow home owners or people who went through this process to help me pick the ABSOLUTELY MUST items for upgrades which I can't buy at a later time easily.
The extras that I've picked as necessary are
Gas Cooking (I cook a lot so..) $385
Cabling for Speakers  $500
HDMI cabling to Kitchen, Bedroom and Living room - $300
Ethernet cabling throughout the house - $400
Walk in Basement separate entrance - $4500

I can tell that the costs are outrageous for Cabling (a good gauge speaker wire costs tens of dollars not hundreds) but what do you guys think?
Also I looked at the schools nearby and searched them through greatschools.org. They seem to be average. So do you guys think that this is a good price for the house? I also want to make sure that I'll be able to sell it comfortably in a few years from now if I have to.
Thanks.
  • October 03 2013 - Sandy
  • 0

Profile picture for johndoe123456789
When I bought a house in Phoenix it had pre-wired surround sound.  Worth it!  Granite counter tops and tile would be my second recommendation.  Although they are likely going to exceed your $5000 free upgrade.  They seem to always add at least $20,000 value to the house plus they sell much faster for some reason.

Sandy,

It's a great decision to purchase a home, congratulations.

I'd recommend that you find a Realtor to be your buyer agent.  They will be able to help you negotiate the builder's prices down to get what you want, at a price you're comfortable with.

Oftentimes, a builder will be able to build some extra amenities into your build package, as long as you are willing to pay the correct list price for the property.  It's about maintaining the pricing integrity of the neighborhood.