Profile picture for antony85

Buying a townhouse in Sterling or Ashburn

I am looking for 3BR/2.5BA townhouses in Sterling or Ashburn. I work and live now in Tysons Corner. I believe I can afford a townhouse up to 400K, but I am comfortable with buying something around 370 -380K. 

I am on work permit now and my green card process is underway. But I have not yet decided whether I want to settle here or go back to my home country, which if I do can be after 5 years. I am right now single. So there are some factors that I may not be able to keep the home for a long time.

Provided I buy a townhouse that is built in late 90s or early 2000s, would I be able to re-sell it provided the market conditions stays the same. My doubt is because I see townhouses built in early 90s listed for long time than others.
  • April 27 - Ashburn
  • 0

It is possible that you may have seen some townhomes on the market for a long time but you never know the circumstances with that particular sale.  They could be priced very high or be in sub par condition which keeps them listed for longer periods.  

Your budget for Sterling/Ashburn is very doable.  Townhomes typically start in the $250k+.  This areas has seen several years of appreciation including a 7% rise from 2012.  Check out the stats here http://www.rbintel.com/statistics/loudoun-county-va

In your situation, the first thing you should do is get in touch with a good lender to go over your financial situation to see exactly what you can afford and what programs are available for non-citizens.
  • April 29