Buying after a short sale

I purchased my home at the end of 2007 just prior to the housing bubble burst.  I purchased for $210,000 with an FHA loan and down payment assistance for a 1st time borrower.  In 2010 my company closed its Atlanta office and relocated me to Chicago.  I sold my home in a short sale that closed in Jan 2011 for $80,000.  I was never late on my mortgage payments, or any other debt.  The only thing that shows on my credit report is a notation of "this loan settled for less than full amount," on my mortgage, but also shows "paid as agreed."  I am trying to find out the waiting period to qualify for another FHA loan?  I have seen mixed answers on this subject.  Some have said I have to wait 3 years period.  Others have said that if there were no late payments on my mortgage, that I can qualify sooner.  Can someone please shed some light on this issue?  I am a year and a half out of short sale, and would like to plan accordingly for my next home.  I'm not necessarily in a rush to purchase, but I want to take advantage of the best deal possible.  Housing prices and interest rates are low and won't last forever.  Also, if I qualify for a new mortgage, will my interest rate be higher due to the short sale?  My credit score dropped from 720 to 650 after the short sale, but has since come back up to 685.  Advice?

August 23 2012 - Des Plaines

My web site has some lender references. Give them a call. There is no cost to speak with them.