Buying an out of state home

I currently live in Orange County CA and am looking to buy a property in New York as an investment. I know the area very well because I grew up there, so I don't have to worry about all the variables that could cause things to go horribly wrong.  I intend to keep living in California but I am curious if there are any laws regarding purchasing property out of state as an investment property? I do not own property in California so this would be my first purchase. In terms of getting a loan would the property have to be my primary residence or anything like that?
  • June 11 2014 - US
  • 0

Interest loan interest is ~3/4% higher. You need to report NY & CA income tax. In NY you need to find a lawyer help you to close the deal.  You also need someone to manage and do repairs on the property you intend to purchase.

Profile picture for ShaylaTwit
Yep, what "wetdawgs" said ;)  Plus, ask about taxes.  Your tax rate can be capped in FL with a max increase of 3%/year if it's your primary.  Whereas with 2nd/vacation homes, the taxes go up with value.  Ask your NY Realtor about taxes.  Can't think of anything else... as I only know the FL market.

But good luck & hope that helps a little - Shayla Twit, Sarasota FL Realtor

You can get a loan for an investment property out of state.   Investment loans are higher % down and higher interest rates than for your primary residence, but people do them all the time.