Buying from out of state

I am switching jobs and I am trying to buy a house in NC from out-of-state, but the lender agent that I have been talking to said that I need to provide 30 days worth of IN-STATE paystubs before I can close on the house. Basically, I have to move to NC with no house, work at my new job from a  transitional living situation for 30 days and then I can start the house- buying process. This seems very fishy to me?  Is this correct?  What can I do to get around this?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • July 25 2013 - Garner
  • 0

Are you transferring with the same company?

Typically if you have a letter from your employer stating they are having you move for work that is all that is required to prove you will be living there.

You should be fine with an offer letter from your company proving that you excepted the position etc. If it is a new company, they may require 30 paystubs from there however the offer letter should state what you are making income wise.

Keep in mind the reason behind this is because the investor needs to make sure there is job stabilty and verify the amount of pay for qualification reasons.

A paystub showing 30 days pay is typically going to be required in a situation like this to meet quidelines.  If you have a signed employment contract with your new job (not offer letter), then the underwriter may be able to accept that in lieu of a pay stub to get your file through underwriting. 

Profile picture for chrisjonesmtg
We have a program where all you need is an offer letter (no paystubs) and a start date within 60 days after closing and we can finance the loan.  No paystubs on the new job needed.  Contact me through profile if interested.  I am licensed in NC.

I am not transferring with the same company.  I just received my PhD this spring and I am transferring to Raleigh to do my post-doctoral studies. So I am transitioning from being a graduate student to a post-doctoral scholar... Is there anything available for that type of move?

Congratulations, you should be okay with getting a loan.  You could do a conventional loan if there is a contract, borrowers who wish to close prior o first day of employment, must have an irrevocalbe employment contract with a professional position.