Buying house - seller paying to get out of house; worried about appraisal!

I'm in the process of buying a house. Seller and I agreed on a price and signed documents (lower than their asking). Based on their remaining mortgage, seller fees, etc. they will be bringing a decent bit of money to the table to close the deal (over $5000). Because of this, the seller says they will not have money to make repairs if anything is wrong, so it is being sold as-is. On the surface, the house is in fine condition, with relatively new renovations. I can back out if my inspector finds something wrong. My offer was the highest I am willing to the pay for this house- but what happens if the appraiser appraises the value to be lower than purchase? Since I already offered as much as I'm willing to pay, I assume it's reasonable to ask the seller to drop their price, even though they are already having to bring money to the table. Thoughts?

December 08 2012 - US

I would not worry so much at this moment until the results of the appraisal come in.  Your lender will only lend you the appraised value.  Depending on the difference between your offer and the appraised value, you can ask the seller to lower the price, you can split the difference, you can bring the difference to the table or you can walk out.  If all that fails within the timetable of the financial contingency I would then contact a real estate attorney to see if you are able to walk out of the contract, it all depends how the P&S was written.  Good luck, positive thoughts are send your way!!!

Typically your offer is contingent on the home appraising at or above purchase price.... in other words, if it appraises low, you have the right to cancel.  Other options would be to negotiate with the seller to reduce the price to appraised value...but of course in this case the seller would have to have the funds available to do that.  Or if this is a home your really want you could purchase it anyway, but be aware your lender will only lend on the appraised value, so you would have to come up with the difference.  Your Realtor will guide you through the process....

Getting an appraisal can usually be to the buyer's advantage giving
them leverage to shave a few thousand dollars off the contracted purchase price, flipside, appraisal comes in higher than purchase price, buyer knows they got a great deal. Win-win for the buyer. Sellers should keep their fingers crossed, buyer will elect out of appraisal

In real estae, everything is negotiable. If the appraisal comes in low, I ask the seller to match the appraisal price. If the seller declines, then it is up to my buyer if they want to come up with the extra money, or walk away. Your agent should be able to give you a close idea what the home will come in at based on the sold comps. Another option may be to meet the seler half way if more money is needed, but since the seller cannot afford repairs, it doesn't sound like that may be an option. Again, everything is negotiable.

Based on an inspection and appraisal along with what is in your contract you both might be able to agree on walking away. But its best to talk to your realtor or have a real estate attorney advise you.