Profile picture for s3viking

Calculating value of a bed/bath addition - dispute with county assessors on value

I've added a bedroom/bath for a total of 300 sq ft in the Bay Park neighborhood of San Diego.  The assessor cannot find area comps to support his assessment so he is using an approximate cost to build - which I feel is way overvalued.

Can I do anything short of hiring an appraiser since that would probably get rejected by the assessor?  I know the county is hard up for revenue, but this is almost criminal.

Thanks for any input
  • January 13 2012 - Clairemont Mesa West
  • 0

I would talk with an appraiser. There should be a way to  dispute or at least have a second opinion. Let me know if you need an appraiser.

Profile picture for s3viking

The  312 sq ft addition (1bedroom/.5bath) which now makes the house (5 bedroom/ 2.5bath 2300 sq ft) is being assessed at nearly $80k.  We are in the 92110 zip and are not near the ocean.  The house is also over 55 years old - probably worth $500k-$550k based on homes that have sold in the area within the last year.

I feel the value is closer to $50k based on what I payed - how would one go about supporting either number? 

Well, HOW much is the assessor think its worth ? HOW much do YOU think its worth ? Are you near the water. ? A millioin dollar home or ? A little more info would help. . .