Camwest summer grove - Kirkland north Jaunita

First time buyer, looking into homes in the new camwest property - summer grove in Kirkland. some are close to the busy (100th) street and retail (safeway)? Is it a good thing to purchase something close to retail and busy street. I visited one of the home and they have good noise attenuating windows , but from a resale perspective, do you think its a good move? 
There are some advantages for this property that I can think of .. for example, close to highway, closer to some of the tech jobs , but overall, do you think it would be a good idea.

How is Camwest in general?
  • May 30 2012 - North Juanita

I've been through Summer Grove with clients and have sold CamWest homes in the past. Good builder to work with. Nice finishes/layouts for the price-point. I can tell you that there were two major things that my clients disliked:

1) The proximity to 100th. Whatever way you slice it and whatever type of windows they put in, that is a busy/noisy road and while being close to shopping may be a good thing - a view of McDonald's is not.

2) The proximity to your neighbor. These are technically condo's...which is how they can get away with building them so close to one another. If you go to some of their other projects (drive through Tambark Springs in Bothell) - you get a real feel for how much you will eventually be on top of your neighbor. You can also see how the neighborhood will eventually "age" in a couple of years.

I actually like CamWest a lot, but I'd say with these - it really depends on how important proximity is to you. I can tell you that the clients I showed these homes to settled on another brand new home in the same price range ($400's) with a better layout, higher quality finishes, and some breathing room between the neighbors. They just had to go about 15 minutes further out. From a resale perspective, being on 100th in that area is not a great selling point...maybe better if you were closer to Lake Washington and the new park.

Best of Luck!
Ryan Halset, Realtor®, ABR®
Seattle Magazine, Five Star Agent - Best in Client Satisfaction

What is important to you in a home?    They are largish houses squeezed in tightly together on tiny lots.       100th is a very busy street, and while Safeway and/or Juanita Village may be walking distance, it is extremely rare to see humans walking along 100th (probably because it is so unpleasant to walk along).    Spend time in the area exploring what is important to you.   Walk down to Juanita (I note that they show mainly Juanita photos in their advertising even though Summer grove is really up near Safeway). 

Overall Camwest is a good builder who will typically builds a good house at a nice price for the area (especially in close on the Eastside), in other words not the highest end finishes but a good price for the location and square footage. They also have a reputation for good service and follow through.
As far as the location being a positive or negative, I'd say that being walking distance to services is a good thing but being right up against a busy street is a negative. Try to buy a home that is situated away from 100th AVE. Keep in mind for resale  that light exposure is a big deal in the Northwest. Buyers typically want a backyard and family room that gets good natural light.
Good luck with your home purchase.