Can I as a landlord just remove the window screens where my tenants live?

Sadly i have tenants from hell they complain about everything and I cannot get them to move out stuck with them for another yearly! I have no idea how I can come out of this lease. One of the major complaints she has filed to the fairfax county is my window screens are in bad shape and I should replace them On the lease window treatments are marked as is and says we are not responsible for the maintenance. Does that include window screens? The window screens are not in bad shape. Our tenant complains about everything. Any how we were told to just remove them and that should solve the problem? Is that possible? does anyone know the legal side for this? I have tried reading up on fairfax county's website but was unable to find anything. Also can a representative from the Fairfax county investigating such claims just enter the house without giving any notice to the tenant or landlord?
  • May 12 2012 - Centreville
  • 0

Profile picture for BungalowMo
Hmmm...sounds like maybe you don't like to fix things, and for your tenant to GET you to fix things, she feels the need to report you.

Good for her!  Didn't bank on her knowing the law, did you?

The Federal laws require that as a landlord you must provide livable conditions to the tenant. 
Would YOU want to live in a house that does not have window screens? What if the weather was nice outside and you wanted to open the windows to let the fresh air in ..... 

To you your rental property is an investment, but to the tenant it is their HOME. 

You certainl will be required to have window screens for rented properties. In addition, certain municipalities require them to be installed in every window. I've found this site [Hotlink removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

Window Screen & Window Treatment are 2 different things altogether.

For Example: If the drapes you had provided is torn you won't replace it ...since it conveys AS IS.

However window screens are part of permanent fixtures in the home just like if a window breaks you would replace it.

You may want to speak to an attorney or hire a property manager to handle the demanding tenants needs for next year.