Can I buy a multifamily home and turn it into a single family?

I have a very big family and where I live the homes are to expensive or too small. I want a big house where my family can live in without having to spent extra money extending the house.
  • August 31 2013 - Little Ferry
  • 0

Best Answer

Profile picture for Peter J Rogers
in answer to Ms. Polack
You would probably have to get a variance from the town to convert from multi family to a single family.
Most 2 family houses will have separate utilities and heating systems for each apartment which would be inconvenient and probably expensive to run.
If the house is now a single family the town will require you to remove one of the kitchens
Except for a number of the very old houses most 2 families will have 2 separate street entrances so unless you want to go out on the sidewalk to go upstairs to bed you are going to have to do expensive alterations.
Like I say its impracticable - at least in New Jersey where both the questioner and I live 

Profile picture for Blue Nile
I've seen it done with a triplex here.  They kept the additional meters, and just put in doors between the units.  Though it is used like single family, owned by one family, it is really three units where the tenants all happen to be "the owners".

Cost wise, it never made much sense to me.  Flow of people in the units never made that much sense either.  But it is an "option" if that is what people like.

By the way, there is one home in this area, zoned "single family" that has 10 bedrooms and 14 bathrooms.  It was for sale, but currently doesn't indicate that.  But it can't be used for "bed & breakfast" or boarding home, or orphan home, or any "commercial usage" nor multi-family usage, so I'm not sure what most large families would do with 14 bathrooms.

Peter Rogers, can you explain why do you think that the idea of the user is "an impracticable solution"?

Profile picture for Peter J Rogers
Its really an impracticable solution. Firstly the cost of doing so would be high and secondly the town may not like the idea. You say you live in Little Ferry so there are a number of towns around where you live that have large houses at reasonablre prices. Ridgefield, Hackensack, Rutherford are ones thar spring to mind. Of ocurse not knowing you budget makes it difficult to give you more detailed advice. 

Share your dream with a few mortgage brokers and see if you qualify to purchase a multifamily property.  The best of luck, it is a great idea!