Profile picture for MelanieMarieBoyd

Can I buy an abandoned house?

I found an abandoned house and I want to find more information on it, and see if there is anyway I can buy it.
  • September 09 2013 - Portland
  • 0

Unless it's been sold quite recently, you should easily be able to find the owner in Multnomah County at the Assessor's office web site search.  Zillow doesn't like us to post links but if you search.multcoproptax.org you should be able to get to it.
Sales are not always recorded immediately, so it might be as much as 30 days after the fact.

That should give you the name and address the tax bill is sent to and you can certainly write them and make an offer

Profile picture for MelanieMarieBoyd
I need to know who to call or talk to in order to learn about this house, like if a bank owns it, which bank and who do I talk to? I can't find any information anywhere on it.

Profile picture for MelanieMarieBoyd
It's definitely abandoned... I think the owner of it is dead. There's "No Trespassing" signs, it's fully grown over, boarded up, the number that would make it an address is gone, and I can't find any information online about it.I went and looked at the house through the cracks of the boards on the window and got busted by cops, just for looking. But that doesn't stop me from wanting to know more about it, within a year or more, they eventually will tear it down and I don't want that to happen.

Profile picture for Blue Nile
Find the owner, and make the owner an offer.  They can always refuse to answer you.  Just because it is not "occupied" doesn't mean it is "abandoned".  Some owners of what you consider "abandoned" will charge you 3 times the present market value, as they have other reasons for holding on to the property.  In some cases, banks are holding onto the assets to avoid taking a "book loss" on the property.  In other cases, the property is in "probate" and you just have to wait for the completion of the process.  If in probate, you can show up to the probate court hearings to bid on the property, if it will be sold in court.