Can I cancel the lease before the lease starting date in NYC?

The day before yesterday I signed a one-year rental lease starting July 1st.  And I gave the landlord a check for the security deposit.  Now I found a better place.  Am I already legally binding by the lease?  Can I get out of that lease and maybe get some of the deposit money back?

If it matters, this is in New York City.
  • June 08 2012 - New York
  • 0

Here's a link to the NY landlord/tenant guide section on leases. 

There is no law that says a tenant has at least three days to get out of a rental lease or any kind of lease after signing it?  I seem to remember California allows that.

Well I'm in New York. hmm... Not good.

Contact the management, but it is a legally binding document so don't be surprised if you have to pay a penalty for breaking the lease

I signed the lease in the building the day before yesterday. The building management said they have to give it to the landlord to sign.  So I actually haven't got the lease copy signed by me and the landlord.

The building management said they would email me the signed document yesterday.  But by now I haven't got it yet.  Is it likely that the landlord is trying to rent it to someone else with a higher rent?  Then he could deny me the apartment.

Anyway, any easier way to get out of it?

And if it matters, this is a rent-stabilized building in New York City.

You've signed a legal document and the landlord is counting on your to fulfill your obligations as outlined in the document.   Yes, it is a legally binding document.   Sometimes if the landlord is in a good mood, you may be able to negotiate a way out of the lease, perhaps volunteer to pay a month's rent and give up the deposit for the privilege of breaking the lease.