Profile picture for melmom8

Can I change realtors?

I have this realtor for 3 months who is supposed to sell my home and I signed a 6 month contract.  When I signed I asked if I can get out anytime and she said yes. She said she may charge me $100 or my expenses. This was verbal. She has not put any expenses into this other than the usual MLS system.  No print outs and no ads done. 

She never follows up on a lead and just waits for others to comment or do whatever.
She is not trying to sell my property!  She even verbally tried to get me to committ to this other person she was showing the property to who doesnt even have his house signed yet and he keeps lying to her.

I just want an honest agent who will try to sell my property and not just do nothing and see what happens as I pay  monthly on a house I am not even in.

What can I do?
  • April 23 2012 - US
  • 0

You need to try to pin the agent down in writing about the verbal agreement. Stay nice and get her to clarify the verbal agreement so that you can make sure you understand. Do it casually in writing by email. Once you get that information. Ask the agent for a written release.

If they refuse, you need to contact the broker for this agent and ask them to assign a different agent for the balance of the listing contract. As an owner you have a right to have an agent that you trust. 

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Get out of it if at all posible..
Talk to the Agent/Broker or Attorney if necessary or wait it out ..whatever

Your time has been wasted so move on as soon as possible and share with any you might know what a waste of your time this has been working with this Agent and Agency..help the next person avoid this
You're looking to get a job done..one involving a Huge Financial Transaction/Sale..a very important Job

Second chances and let's work on working it out..Bah Humbug!

Just my Opinion

Hello what is your location? Please contact me if your in the LA county or surrounding areas

Profile picture for Joseph F Moore

I would really stress that you should talk to her directly and express your frustration and/or concerns. Obviously myself and the other folks on this board don't know all the circumstances, but give her an opportunity to fix the situation. If she doesn't understand your dissatisfaction with her she will have a hard time addressing the problem  Your agent may just jump right up and make some changes. Discuss your expectations and ask her for a game plan on how she plans to exceed them.

If that doesn't work you can call the broker and request to be assigned to a new agent. Like Wetdawgs suggested; interview several other agents from the brokerage to determine whom is best fit for you.

The last thing most agents want is to get fired so just hinting that you aren't satisfied could really open up your agents eyes. Also, I would never want to work with a client that didn't want to work with me. If you absolutely don't want to work with the agent or broker anymore ask them to cancel the contract. She might just agree and end the relationship with no issues.  Most agents wouldn't want to spend their time (maybe minimal in your case) on a client that has no desire to work with them.

Best of luck!

It is very important that the listing agreement you signed with your agent
outlines clearly what your rights are as a seller and what their responsabilities are with you, I would suggest that you review the listing agreement and if you see that you are not receiving the full service marketing program you should then, speak to the manager (if the agent will not release you) and request a listing agreement withdrawl and look for an agent and company that will give you the full service you need to make sure your home is sold as soon as possible.  Best wishes to you!

When you chose this agent, what did she promise (in your interview with her) to do for advertising your property?   I'd start by sitting down with your current agent and clarifying expectations and holding her to her promises.  

If that doesn't work, I'd talk with the broker in charge in the office about expectations and assigning a new agent.   Ask if you can have a selection of two or three and interview them rigorously before making the selection.

If the agent does not want to release you from the Buyer Agency contract, discuss it with the principal broker in the agency. You have to trust your listing agent and know upfront the type of marketing your property will receive.