Profile picture for kchris1123

Can I do a FHA 203(k) with an ARM instead of a fixed rate?

Forgive me if I don't get all the technical terms right, but..

My dilemma is my front end DTI is about 29%.  (I am lowering it by refinancing a vehicle and paying down my credit cards. Can probably get it down to 26% or less within 30-45days.)  I make $49,100 a year, have a 725 credit score, and have $13,000 I can use for a deposit. 

I found a foreclosure that I can prob get for $115,00 and it would need about $5,000 - 10,000 worth of renovations.  3 bedroom townhouse, ~2000 sq.ft., Wake County, NC.

My question is, can I do a FHA 203(k) rehab loan with a FHA ARM instead of fixed?  I know within 5 years before the ARM activates or whatever, lol, I can re-finance into a fixed rate.  I know there are a lot of unforeseen market issues, life issues, etc., but I am secure in my job and know the earning potential is there. 

Anyway... any suggestions?  I need to be moved by August 30th.  Thanks in advance.  :)

May 28 2010 - Cary

IS it going to be your primary residence?

Profile picture for kchris1123
Thanks for the reply Andy. 

Yes, it will be my primary residence. 
And I should also add, that I am a title holder on a property, but not on the mortgage.  Have been off the mortgage since 2006, I believe.
The list price of the property is $134,900.  The last tax value was $142,000.

Correction for typo:  I make $48,100, not $49.

I assume you're interested in an ARM because the rate would be lower, is that correct? I haven't seen FHA 203-k loans as ARMS; only as 30 year fixed. If your DTI is so low, it shouldn't be an issue. DTI is often allowed up to 50% if your credit and assets are good which they are. Good luck!

Profile picture for kchris1123
Yes, an ARM would be lower which is what I would need so as not to make my back end number too high.

I meant my DTI before the mortgage was added in.  Not sure about the terminology, sorry. 

a better question is do you really want to spend the additional money needed for a 203K clsoing costs for only 5 - 20k in closing cost?

I think Ricardo was getting to a great point but didn't elaborate.  A 203k doesn't seem to be the best or only option.  Have you considered a straight FHA which would require about $4k for a down payment and if you could get the seller to pay your closing costs you would still have $9k to do the needed repairs unless they are repairs that are required to get the loan.  Do you have a buyers agent assisting you in negotiating?  It sounds like you know the situation as you are a title holder.  Could this be a possible short sale/pre-forclosure and not yet a foreclosure?  Maybe there is something the seller is willing/able to contribute toward repairs?  Feel free to contact me with any specific questions as your situation doesn't sound like a generic issue.

Duplicate

Profile picture for Sheri Moritz
Latest reply by Sheri Moritz
May 30 2010 | 7 answers

1. 306 Camden Branch Dr, Cary, NC Home For Sale
    306 Camden Branch Dr, Cary, NC 27518

2. 1940 Mostyn Ln, Apex, NC Home For Sale
    1940 Mostyn Ln, Apex, NC 27502

3. 617 Sherwood Forest Pl, Cary, NC Home For Sale
    617 Sherwood Forest Pl, Cary, NC 27519