Can I find a house for rent based just on my monthly income?

I have horrible credit but make $55K plus a year. I can afford a nice rental home, it's just getting the renter to trust me. Not judge me based on my credit score. Thank you for your time.
  • July 03 2012 - Oklahoma City
  • 0

Profile picture for JoshBarnettREIB
User2150050,

Landlords typically rely far less on a credit report than banks do.  I did not even pull a full credit report on the tenants I currently have in my rental; I did pull a background check though. 

As a tenant, you will have more flexibility in negotiations and building the trust w/ your future Landlord will help you out, as you stated below.  Just explain your situation to your prospective Landlord as you have here and you will find a property that will work out for your family.   

Best of Luck,

Josh Barnett, Realtor

Sorry to hear about your child. I hope are doing better. The fact that your credit is bad due to that is very important to tell prospective landlords. People understand that high medical bills are not the mark of financial mismanagement. 

The fact you are a recently separated veteran will also help. Be candid with your landlord about your situation and I am sure they will give you a chance. I would :)

Thank you. The debt is medical bills and that's it (sick child). But I'm guessing I could type up a letter with the report ans explain these and it will show him I am responsible and gain his trust. Also, hopefully me just fresh out of the army after five years will help too. But thank you foryour response.

Landlords will judge by your credit score at least somewhat. Landlords are people. Some people will be able to look past a bad report if you can explain it to them. Others won't.

Most landlords appreciate stable tenants who have some references that show that they pay their bills. If they don't have that they may want a larger deposit or a cosigner. Some people with bad credit always pay their rent, but have other issues that affect credit scores medical bills, divorce, bankruptcy, short sale etc.

You may be able to get a landlord to see past that if you can show that you will pay your rent on time.