Profile picture for taczones

Can I get a conventional loan with 10% down?

My lender told me I can't get conventional loan with 10% down if the loan amount is more than 417K.  The only option I have is to go with FHA loan, which I will be stuck with 5 years MIP.  I am looking to buy this home at listed price 690K, and I only have 10% down, FICO 800+, high income.  Anyone know if I have other options by not doing FHA loan?

• August 02 2011 - US
  • 0

Yes you can. Whomever your lender is is mistaken. Even though a lot of the larger lenders and banks cannot offer them we actually have several options for 10% above $417K. The best interest rates and payments though come from our 80/10/10 program. This allows a buyer to take out a 80% 1st mortgage, a 10% 2nd mortgage while placing just 10% down. And of course by structuring the financing this way you will avoid the need for mortgage insurance.

I hope this was helpful. Please contact me if you have any further questions or wish to see if you can qualify. Best of luck!

9/31 is the deliver date, not the last day to close for the temporary high balance limits. Your lender will have a cutoff date that is a week or  more before the end of September.

The MI companies have been a bit hinky about insuring on the temp limits and some wont insure above $625k.

If you want the conventional  5/1 ARM with 10% down you'll need to find a Freddie Mac lender; Fannie Mae requires 25% down on the ARMs.

Fannie Mae guideline for high balance ($417,001 to $729,750) fixed rate loans is 90%, and 75% for ARMs.

Profile picture for taczones
I am in Santa Clara, CA.  I am looking for 5/1 ARM to get low rate, NO FHA.  What is rate going to be without PMI?  House is 690K single family home, 10% down if close after 9/31 or can I do 5% down before 9/31?

thanks

Explore the option of 2 loans, First lien 417k conventional Rates and 2nd lien little higher rate but no PMI

That is incorrect and after Sept 30th, that is really going to be wrong.  Assuming you are in a high balance area where the loan limit is $729k, after Sept 30 the most that limit is going to be is $625,500.  You will need to close by that time frame in order to take advantage of the higher limit.  In the meantime yes you can get a conventional loan with 10% down at that amount.

If you just want conventional financing then a portfolio lender may work. If you want conforming then you probably won't find it as I don't think you can get conforming to 90% over $625,500.

There are lenders that will finance up to 90% with no MI.  These loans are non-conforming loans and are available through some of the larger banks.  The loan types run from short term ARMs to fixed rate loans.  What state are you looking to buy? 

You didn't mention what state the property is in. If it's in California I can help you.

Happpy funding, Rudi